Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Phantom Costume Ring Updated:)

  • Siebel San
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 7 1:36 PM

       > I would be very interested in a Moulin Rouge sister ring!

      Great:), so you have a site you know of or own that might fit in with
      this? I'm seeing if the people I know have made costumes/interested
      in the costumes are willing to join:)

      I am planning on making some moulin rougish costumes in the future.  Been watching the movie, pausing it, and taking notes and making sketches.  I am in the process of building my website (I'd give you the address but there is absolutely nothing on it now) dedicated mostly to medieval/renaissance/fantasy.  However, when I get some more time, I may start adding other time periods, i.e. moulin rouge, titanic era, etc.

      > "I've noticed that famous composers in particular hang on for a
      long time.  Deaf as posts, most of them, when Death comes calling.  I
      expect some god somewhere finds that very amusing.  It's their kind
      of a joke.*"

      > *And course, one that misfires.  Deafness doesn't prevent composers
      from hearing the music.  It prevents them from hearing the
      distractions.

      Ahh yes, Pterry.. gotta love him, rereading Wyrd Sisters for the
      umpteenth time. Love this line from maskerade though:
      "I'm sure people wouldn't come into the Opera House if there was any
      chance of a chandelier dropping on their heads..." as this is exactly
      what people expect in Phantom;)

      I just finished Men at Arms.  I didn't think I'd like the characters of the Watch (The Witches are my favorite!), but it turned out to be really good.  :-D  Always happy to find another Pratchett fan!
      My favorite quote from Men at Arms:

      "...It takes a very special and strong minded kind of atheist to jump up and down with their hand clasped under their other armpit and shout 'oh random-fluctuations-in-the-space-time-continuum!' or 'Aargh, primitive-and-outmoded-concept-on-a-crutch!'"

      There is more before it, but that pretty much sums up the gist of it :-)

      All the best (and thanks all for the advice!)

      -Jessie

      - - - - - - - - - -

    • Jeni
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 8 4:50 AM
        > I am planning on making some moulin rougish costumes in the future.
        > Been watching the movie, pausing it, and taking notes and making
        > sketches. I am in the process of building my website (I'd give you the
        > address but there is absolutely nothing on it now) dedicated mostly to
        > medieval/renaissance/fantasy. However, when I get some more time, I may
        > start adding other time periods, i.e. moulin rouge, titanic era, etc.

        I'd like to see that, too. I played around with the idea of doing a
        moulin rouge costume, but I chickened out. Maybe if I see what other
        people are doing, I'll get inspired. And I haven't seen it since it was
        in the theatre (reeally need to get a dvd player)

        > Ahh yes, Pterry.. gotta love him, rereading Wyrd Sisters for the
        > umpteenth time. Love this line from maskerade though:
        > "I'm sure people wouldn't come into the Opera House if there was any
        > chance of a chandelier dropping on their heads..." as this is exactly
        > what people expect in Phantom;)
        >
        > I just finished Men at Arms. I didn't think I'd like the characters of
        > the Watch (The Witches are my favorite!), but it turned out to be really
        > good. :-D Always happy to find another Pratchett fan!
        > My favorite quote from Men at Arms:
        >
        > "...It takes a very special and strong minded kind of atheist to jump up
        > and down with their hand clasped under their other armpit and shout 'oh
        > random-fluctuations-in-the-space-time-continuum!' or 'Aargh,
        > primitive-and-outmoded-concept-on-a-crutch!'"
        >
        > There is more before it, but that pretty much sums up the gist of it :-)

        Oo, more Discworld fans. I also read MAA recently, and was surprised by
        how amusing the Watch is.

        Speaking of which, any idea what a Watch costume might consist of? I
        know they wear a breastplate and a helmet, but what goes underneath?
        I've only read a few of the books so far, so I probably missed a lot of
        details. It seems like in any clothing descriptions I've read of any of
        the characters, he's borrowed details from every historical period
        imaginable, and then threw in a few extras. Which is kinda neat, but
        makes it very difficult to make assumptions. :)

        Jeni.

        --

        "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is
        the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

        -William Pitt
      • Siebel San
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 8 1:06 PM

          I'd like to see that, too. I played around with the idea of doing a moulin rouge costume, but I chickened out. Maybe if I see what other people are doing, I'll get inspired. And I haven't seen it since it was in the theatre (reeally need to get a dvd player)

          I would really like to make the costumes, but right now my main concern is with making the prototypes for my webpage.  Don't worry though :-) Pretty soon I'll get sick of doing straight medieval and will feel the need for some variety.  Let me know if you feel inspired.

          Oo, more Discworld fans. I also read MAA recently, and was surprised by
          how amusing the Watch is.

          Speaking of which, any idea what a Watch costume might consist of? I know they wear a breastplate and a helmet, but what goes underneath? I've only read a few of the books so far, so I probably missed a lot of details. It seems like in any clothing descriptions I've read of any of the characters, he's borrowed details from every historical period imaginable, and then threw in a few extras. Which is kinda neat, but makes it very difficult to make assumptions. :)

          I love how he mixes time periods :-D  I think his most prominant would be English Tudor, give or take a hundred years.  But anyhow-have you ever been to his official website?  It's called the L-space Web or something like that.  I'll try to find the exact address for you.  But the reason I ask is that you can buy figurines of most of his characters, and the pictures of them show some pretty good detail.  I guess that when I read it, I pictured Corp. Carrot in an almost Roman styled getup.  A tunic beneath the breastplate maybe.

          Well, I am gonna go look for that site!  Buh bye!

          -Jessie

          - - - - - - - - - -

        • Siebel San
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 8 1:39 PM

[...]

            I found that address: http://lugh.tuatha.org/lspace/ click on merchandise.  Enjoy!

            -Jessie

            - - - - - - - - - -

          • Siebel San
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 8 9:21 PM

              I know that there was a big discussion about sergers not to long ago, but I have anothr question.  Has anyone ever used those tiny sergers?  I've seen a lot of them on e-bay, and was wondering if they are any good.  How much abuse can they stand up to?  Probably not much....  I'd really like to get a serger, but I am a poor college student who can't afford a big fancy new one.  Hope to hear from someone soon!

              Thanks!

              Jessie

              - - - - - - - - - -

            • Terri Lee
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 8 9:26 PM
                I have to admit I went that route and paid for it in
                the long run. I personally can not advise it. Nothing
                but one headache after another.
                I eventually started putting away 10.00 a week and
                bought one from Hancock fabrics for 350.00 I bought
                the New Home brand and LOVE it. I also have a New Home
                sewing machine that I sew on every day, and have for
                the last 6 years and have NEVER had a problem with it.
                Terri
                --- Siebel San <siebelsan@...> wrote:

                > I know that there was a big discussion about sergers
                > not to long ago, but I have anothr question. Has
                > anyone ever used those tiny sergers? I've seen a
                > lot of them on e-bay, and was wondering if they are
                > any good. How much abuse can they stand up to?
                > Probably not much.... I'd really like to get a
                > serger, but I am a poor college student who can't
                > afford a big fancy new one. Hope to hear from
                > someone soon!
                >
                > Thanks!
                >
                > Jessie
                >

                > "I would die for you." -Kevin Costner, Robin Hood:
                > Prince of Thieves
                > - - - - - - - - - -
                > "I've noticed that famous composers in particular
                > hang on for a long time. Deaf as posts, most of
                > them, when Death comes calling. I expect some god
                > somewhere finds that very amusing. It's their kind
                > of a joke.*"
                >
                > *And course, one that misfires. Deafness doesn't
                > prevent composers from hearing the music. It
                > prevents them from hearing the distractions.
                http://greetings.yahoo.com
              • Becky's naked email
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 8 9:54 PM
                  --- Terri Lee <terbear28_2000@...> wrote:
                  > I have to admit I went that route and paid for it in
                  > the long run. I personally can not advise it.
                  > Nothing
                  > but one headache after another.
                  > I eventually started putting away 10.00 a week and
                  > bought one from Hancock fabrics for 350.00 I bought
                  > the New Home brand and LOVE it.

                  When I was very poor, I put my Bernette on layaway. I
                  knew once I had it, it would pay for itself. And it
                  has, many times over. A quality serger should last
                  for decades.

                  Becky

                  http://greetings.yahoo.com
                • Sheila
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 9 7:23 AM
                    >Re: Mini sergers?

                    A friend of mine had one, and she couldn't get it
                    re-threaded, so once the white it came with was gone
                    so was the machine's usefullness. Also it does not
                    have a blade to cut the excess material with, so the
                    bound edges tend to fray, even with the overcasting.
                    I got my serger thru Fingerhut, that way I could pay
                    a little a month without worrying that I'd lose it if
                    I couldn't make a lay-away payment.
                    http://www.fingerhut.com
                    My only complaint is that I use it so much my blade
                    gets dull :)

                    Sheila

                    http://greetings.yahoo.com
                  • Mary Ann Shupe
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 10 8:13 AM
                      My husband bought me one, dear man, but it wasn't worth much. You might look for a used one, (on line) or a display model. We found a new one at Wal-mart for $100.00 that had been a display model , and though we had to spend another $50.00 or so dollars to get the powercord/foot pedal, it was worth the difference in money. Also many companies will do a special financing, six months same as cash deal.
                      Good luck,

                      Mary Ann

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 11 4:14 AM

                        I want to unsubscribe from this group. Thank you very much

                        Corinna

                        >From: Siebel San
                        >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Phantom Costume Ring Updated:)
                        >Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 13:06:00 -0800 (PST)
                        >

                        >I'd like to see that, too. I played around with the idea of doing a moulin rouge costume, but I chickened out. Maybe if I see what other people are doing, I'll get inspired. And I haven't seen it since it was in the theatre (reeally need to get a dvd player)
                        >
                        >I would really like to make the costumes, but right now my main concern is with making the prototypes for my webpage. Don't worry though :-) Pretty soon I'll get sick of doing straight medieval and will feel the need for some variety. Let me know if you feel inspired.
                        >

                        >Oo, more Discworld fans. I also read MAA recently, and was surprised by
                        >how amusing the Watch is.
                        >
                        >Speaking of which, any idea what a Watch costume might consist of? I know they wear a breastplate and a helmet, but what goes underneath? I've only read a few of the books so far, so I probably missed a lot of details. It seems like in any clothing descriptions I've read of any of the characters, he's borrowed details from every historical period imaginable, and then threw in a few extras. Which is kinda neat, but makes it very difficult to make assumptions. :)
                        >

                        >I love how he mixes time periods :-D I think his most prominant would be English Tudor, give or take a hundred years. But anyhow-have you ever been to his official website? It's called the L-space Web or something like that. I'll try to find the exact address for you. But the reason I ask is that you can buy figurines of most of his characters, and the pictures of them show some pretty good detail. I guess that when I read it, I pictured Corp. Carrot in an almost Roman styled getup. A tunic beneath the breastplate maybe.
                        >
                        >Well, I am gonna go look for that site! Buh bye!
                        >
                        >-Jessie
                        >

                        >"I would die for you." -Kevin Costner, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
                        > - - - - - - - - - -
                        >"I've noticed that famous composers in particular hang on for a long time. Deaf as posts, most of them, when Death comes calling. I expect some god somewhere finds that very amusing. It's their kind of a joke.*"
                        >
                        >*And course, one that misfires. Deafness doesn't prevent composers from hearing the music. It prevents them from hearing the distractions.
                        >Send FREE Valentine eCards with Yahoo! Greetings!

                        Downloaden Sie MSN Explorer kostenlos unter http://explorer.msn.de/intl.asp.
                      • neimhaille
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 4, 2002
                          Ok, so I finally did it. I now have a costume ring I have been
                          planning on since.. well I posed the question a few months ago on a
                          few costume sites, and only got one reply so it's been on the back
                          burner.. thinking people weren't interested:)
                          http://frazzledfrau.tripod.com/moulinrouge
                          I've got a list of pages of people and their costumes.. I had more
                          but this is all I can find again. I know there was a group of
                          chickies who did a Lady Marmalade staged thing, so I'll be looking
                          for that.

                          If you do not wish to be listed, and I have already listed you I
                          will take down the link. So far I've only linked to pages I found in
                          google or where a link was sent to a list with public archives etc.

                          Well off to go set 30 grommets in my pink cossie:)

                          There are only a few original costume links, as I am working on
                          finding all the fabulous galleries. I'd be willing to host images if
                          people would like to send me images :).. big grin:)

                          michaela

                          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., "neimhaille" <vcairistiona@h...>