  • ecomaas@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2002
      I hope I am responding to the Digest in the correct manner. But whoever gets my e mail, may it bring you some sewing help.

      I found the ONLY way to sew something made of Confetti dot , or any fabric that gums up your needle, is to simultaniously sew through a sheet of fabic softener, like Bounce.
      It "greases" your need as you sew through it on your seam line, and you tear it away as you sew. You can only go about 4 or 5 inches at a time, then you have to rip away the sheet. Go with the grain of the sheet, (yes, there is a straight of grain on a fabric softener sheet). But this save SOOOOOOOOOOO much time of cleaning your needles, or changing them every couple of stiches.

      Hope this helps.

      Patty In Illinois

      Hey, Tara, do I get an "A" for this one?) LOLOLOL!
    • rermisch
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 9, 2002

        From: Siebel San <siebelsan@...>
        2. Re: Evil Stuff!
        From: celticliongarb@...
        3. Re: Evil Stuff!
        From: Heidi Horan <horandesigns.geo@...>
        4. Probem - gummed needle
        From: "keziamara" <keziamara@...>
        5. Re: Probem - gummed needle
        From: celticliongarb@...

        Message: 1
        Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 15:00:31 -0800 (PST)
        From: Siebel San <siebelsan@...>
        Subject: Evil Stuff!

        Allo all!
        Does anyone have some general tips about velvet? Like how to keep it from creeping all over the place? And how to keep the panne stuff from curling at the edges?
        Thanks!
        Jessie

        - - - - - - - - - -

        [This message contained attachments]

        Message: 2
        Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 18:05:10 EST
        From: celticliongarb@...
        Subject: Re: Evil Stuff!

        Not sure what to tell ya about the panne curling LOL - I haven't worked with
        it very much.

        On velvet, however, the only advice is go SLOOOOWWWWLYYYY. Shorten your
        stitch length by quite a bit, and go along at a snail's pace, checking
        constantly to make sure that all layers are still even.

        -The Celtic Lion

        www.thecelticlion.com

        [This message contained attachments]

        Message: 3
        Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 15:59:39 -0800 (PST)
        From: Heidi Horan <horandesigns.geo@...>

        I have found the only way to save my sanity when
        working with velvet, and also all other modes of
        creepy fabric, is to hand baste. It really only takes
        a little more time and then it can't crawl on you.
        Also, avoiding it helps. Regards, Heidi J. Horan
        --- Siebel San <siebelsan@...> wrote:

        > Allo all!
        > Does anyone have some
        general tips about velvet?
        > Like how to keep it from creeping all
        over the
        > place? And how to keep the panne stuff from
        curling
        > at the edges?
        > Thanks!
        > Jessie
        >

        > "I would die for you." -Kevin Costner, Robin
        Hood:
        > Prince of Thieves
        > - - - - - - - - - -
        > "I've
        noticed that famous composers in particular
        > hang on for a long
        time. Deaf as posts, most of
        > them, when Death comes calling. I
        expect some god
        > somewhere finds that very amusing. It's their
        kind
        > of a joke.*"
        >
        > *And course, one that misfires.
        Deafness doesn't
        > prevent composers from hearing the music.
        It
        > prevents them from hearing the distractions.
        > - - - - -
        - - - -
        > “If the world could have seen what I have seen,
        feel
        > what I have felt, there would be no more war, only

        love.” -MLC

        http://greetings.yahoo.com

        Message: 4
        Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 04:02:53 -0000
        From: "keziamara" <keziamara@...>
        Subject: Probem - gummed needle

        This is about sewing. I bought "confetti dot", a black knit with
        small gold spangles glued on. When I went to sew it, I found it gums
        up the needle so badly within about 4 inches that the thread won't
        catch, and it just won't sew. Has anyone else ever run into this
        problem? Any suggestions? I tried hand sewing, but even that is
        really tough.

        Message: 5
        Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 23:06:31 EST
        From: celticliongarb@...
        Subject: Re: Probem - gummed needle

        I ran into this same problem last halloween when I had an ingenious idea for
        some mermaid costumes. It like to have driven me nuts! I wish I had some
        advice to offer, but you definitely have my sympathies!

        -The Celtic Lion

        www.thecelticlion.com

        [This message contained attachments]

           Hi!

           Yes, that stuff is miserable to deal with. Beside avoiding it altogether the only thing that you can do is keep a bottle of alcohol nearby and keep cleaning your needle with it. Also , once when working with fabric that had sequins glued fast to it I had the same problem and the friendly Singer sewing machine man I asked about it gave me a needle that had a longer indentation than the one I was using. That is the other side of the needle that doesn't have a groove ? Find one that fits your machine but has a longer indentation and it also must be for knit fabrics.  HOpe this helps. Mostly I would avoid the fabric, it does not hold up to repeated washings and is easily damaged.

        .