  • Kimberly Stockton
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 17, 2005
      I am in search of how to make a wheeled farthingale. It will need to hold very heavy dress/ skirt fabric, which is where my problem is. What are your experiences with this construction? Has anyone tried it with the flat front and the hoops on side and back? How do you keep the tention on the hoops?

      Thank you for your help

    • siobhan713
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 18, 2005
        I haven't done a wheeled farthingale yet, but I have made a Spanish
        farthingale, bucket panniers, and a bustle from the patterns in Jean
        Hunnisett's Costuming for Stage and Screen. I just looked up her
        version of the wheeled farthingale and it looks like she used some
        sort of cane for the support. I'm not sure where you might find that,
        but at least that might give you an idea. You might also want to go
        to www.farthingales.on.ca to look through their stuff. I know the
        lady there is really good about answering questions, so you might want
        to give her a try as well. Also, there is a Yahoo group just for
        Elizabethan costuming and someone over there might have more
        experience with that sort of thing. Good luck, hope that helps.