  • Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 18, 2000
      > I'm looking for samurai wigs

      Oh, I forgot to answer that part of the question. Lacey sells samurai wigs
      too, but I really hate the look of a false bald front cap wig, (not to
      mention the trouble of using them each night for the actors. I remember in
      my HS production of the Mikado back in 1974 Ko-ko had his bald front sweat
      loose by intermission and fall off for the finale.) So in our production I
      made them all hats that covered most of their head, and then temporarily
      dyed their real hair black so that the napes of their necks looked ok. You
      can get wash-out hair color that will work for a few performances, then
      shampoos out in a week or two. Ko-ko got a witch wig that was dressed into
      the style of a particular Kabuki character.

      --
      ----Tara Maginnis, Ph.D., Costume Designer/Associate Professor
      Chair of the Theatre Department of University of Alaska Fairbanks