Re: 1940's Dresses

  • serenpoly
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 5, 2005
      Vogue is a good suggestion. 2787 (a 1948 design) would be good for a
      tea. Butterick might also have something appropriate, but the retro
      patterns still in print are hard to find (since they don't have a
      separate section in the catalog anymore).

      However, Folkwear has a pattern they call "Sporty Forties", a
      shirtdress. Depending on the fabric, it could be extremely sporty or
      could be dressed up. It has pockets on the bodice, and I can see it
      in a dark (navy? forest green for the holidays?) crepe or faille,
      with a little white lace on the collar and pockets. Come to think of
      it, that'd almost be like a dress my mom had for Easter when I was a
      toddler (which would be either extremely late 40s or extremely early
      50s - I was born in 1948).

      Folkwear (www.folkwear.com) also has some others that are either '40s
      or that could cross over: Sophisticated Lady, the Glamour Girl
      Dress, or the '30s Day Dress. You could probably get away with the
      shorter version of the Beach Pyjamas. Or, if your friend wants to be
      scandalous, in the mold of Kate Hepburn, there are the Hollywood
      Pants trousers, worn with a neat camp shirt and a cardigan sweater
      tossed loosely over the shoulders (the sleeves tied in front) -- and
      a bit of an "I'm a star; I can do whatever I want" attitude.

      If you can't get Folkwear in time, I recently used Vogue 7903 quite
      successfully as the top of a shirtwaist (love those little notched
      cuffs on the short-sleeved version, but I hate the collar; go
      figure...), and it would work as that 'neat camp shirt', too.

      Get the silhouette right, and you can do almost anything with trim,
      etc. Think light and ladylike for a tea. And don't forget the white
      gloves!

      -- Emc^2

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Theresa Roden
      <troden56@s...> wrote:
      > Some friends are planning a holiday tea with a late 40's WWII
      theme. I've been asked to help make a dress from the period for one
      of the hostesses. I need some ideas of where to search for patterns
      for this.

      > Theresa
    • Crystal Denton
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 6, 2005
        I have patterns from the 40's themselves... They are given to me by my grandma years ago,
        I have also seen some on e-bay.

        Crystal