seamstress

  • thejoshuagoldberg
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 5, 2005
      Hey all!

      I was wondering if any of you know of a seamstress in NYC that can
      help
      me make my Halloween costume? It's actually something really easy; I
      just don't wan't to do it cuz I'm afriad of ruining the corset that I
      bought cuz it was $$$. My friends and I are doing like a wacky
      version
      of ALice in Wonderland with me as the Queen of Hearts. I already
      bought this great sort of tu-tu short skirt that poofs out to
      oblivian. Next thing I'm going to do is create a sort of bustle with
      read velvet to go over it. So what I want to do is cover the corset
      with that velvet (corset is originally green satin) and elongat it so
      that it can go from my hips to over the bust and add sleeves so it's
      more like a full top. So if any of you can help me find some one I
      would be oh so greatful. Thanks!
    • thejoshuagoldberg
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 6, 2005
        I reallyyyy need help with this cuz i'm running out of time. So if any
        one can help pleeeaaase reply. Thanks.

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "thejoshuagoldberg"

      • DJCPoland@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 6, 2005
          Consider posting your request on the bulletin board at the Fashion Institute of Technology.

          Donna
        • Loretta Armstrong
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 6, 2005
            The only thing I can think of is a group of artists who make custom clothes, props, etc.
            http://www.daydream-artisans.com/
            And I recomend them because they have done alice in wonderland.
            Sorry I can't be more help,
            Loretta

            <thejoshuagoldberg@y...> wrote:
            > Hey all!
            >
            > I was wondering if any of you know of a seamstress in NYC that can
            help
            > me make my Halloween costume? It's actually something really easy; I
            > just don't wan't to do it cuz I'm afriad of ruining the corset that I
            > bought cuz it was $$$. My friends and I are doing like a wacky
            version
            > of ALice in Wonderland with me as the Queen of Hearts. I already
            > bought this great sort of tu-tu short skirt that poofs out to
            > oblivian. Next thing I'm going to do is create a sort of bustle with
            > read velvet to go over it. So what I want to do is cover the corset
            > with that velvet (corset is originally green satin) and elongat it so
            > that it can go from my hips to over the bust and add sleeves so it's
            > more like a full top. So if any of you can help me find some one I
            > would be oh so greatful. Thanks!

            Fibre Arts, a cappella, costuming, and fun!
            http://www.laminathegreat.com

            Read and comment on your scriptures daily.
            http://www.weblayouts.net/scriptures

            What if you had the chance to relive your past, only you didn't want to?
            http://timespan20.blogspot.com

          • Renee Schmutz
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 6, 2005
              I can't help with finding a seamstress, since I'm not from that area, but I
              do have a question/suggestion...

              It seams to me that covering and altering an existing corset might be at
              least very very tricky, and to be honest, I'm not certain you can *lengthen"
              an already finished corset. (since the boning is already of a certain
              length)

              But I was wondering about the possibility of making a complete
              over-dress, or if you already have some type of skirt then an over-bodice,
              that has the styling and look you want, with poofy sleeves and all, and
              wearing it over the corset, so that you have the shape you want.

              Just a suggestion :) I hope it all works out for you!

              Renee

              > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "thejoshuagoldberg"
              > <thejoshuagoldberg@y...> wrote:
              >> Hey all!
              >>
              >> I was wondering if any of you know of a seamstress in NYC that can
              > help
              >> me make my Halloween costume? It's actually something really easy; I
              >> just don't wan't to do it cuz I'm afriad of ruining the corset that I
              >> bought cuz it was $$$. My friends and I are doing like a wacky
              > version
              >> of ALice in Wonderland with me as the Queen of Hearts. I already
              >> bought this great sort of tu-tu short skirt that poofs out to
              >> oblivian. Next thing I'm going to do is create a sort of bustle with
              >> read velvet to go over it. So what I want to do is cover the corset
              >> with that velvet (corset is originally green satin) and elongat it so
              >> that it can go from my hips to over the bust and add sleeves so it's
              >> more like a full top. So if any of you can help me find some one I
              >> would be oh so greatful. Thanks!
              >

              > Fibre Arts, a cappella, costuming, and fun!
              > http://www.laminathegreat.com
              >
              > Read and comment on your scriptures daily.
              > http://www.weblayouts.net/scriptures
              >
              > What if you had the chance to relive your past, only you didn't want to?
              > http://timespan20.blogspot.com

              > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >

              > --

            • Crystal Denton
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 6, 2005
                I would do it, but I am not in New York, you may need to ship it out somewhwere if you
                can't find someone there.

                Crystal

                <thejoshuagoldberg@y...> wrote:
                > Hey all!
                >
                > I was wondering if any of you know of a seamstress in NYC that can
                help
                > me make my Halloween costume? It's actually something really easy; I
                > just don't wan't to do it cuz I'm afriad of ruining the corset that I
                > bought cuz it was $$$. My friends and I are doing like a wacky
                version
                > of ALice in Wonderland with me as the Queen of Hearts. I already
                > bought this great sort of tu-tu short skirt that poofs out to
                > oblivian. Next thing I'm going to do is create a sort of bustle with
                > read velvet to go over it. So what I want to do is cover the corset
                > with that velvet (corset is originally green satin) and elongat it so
                > that it can go from my hips to over the bust and add sleeves so it's
                > more like a full top. So if any of you can help me find some one I
                > would be oh so greatful. Thanks!

                Fibre Arts, a cappella, costuming, and fun!
                http://www.laminathegreat.com

                Read and comment on your scriptures daily.
                http://www.weblayouts.net/scriptures

                What if you had the chance to relive your past, only you didn't want to?
                http://timespan20.blogspot.com

                Denver performing arts complex Center for the performing arts Performing arts center

              • Anne Murphy
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 6, 2005
                  For future reference - you might want to look for help like this
                  *before* October. Most of the costumers in this city who do that kind
                  of work are already booked up for the month.

                  Try Craig's List. You never know...

                  Good luck with it!

                  Anne