Re: 1940's Dresses

  • serenpoly
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 5, 2005
      Vogue is a good suggestion. 2787 (a 1948 design) would be good for a
      tea. Butterick might also have something appropriate, but the retro
      patterns still in print are hard to find (since they don't have a
      separate section in the catalog anymore).

      However, Folkwear has a pattern they call "Sporty Forties", a
      shirtdress. Depending on the fabric, it could be extremely sporty or
      could be dressed up. It has pockets on the bodice, and I can see it
      in a dark (navy? forest green for the holidays?) crepe or faille,
      with a little white lace on the collar and pockets. Come to think of
      it, that'd almost be like a dress my mom had for Easter when I was a
      toddler (which would be either extremely late 40s or extremely early
      50s - I was born in 1948).

      Folkwear (www.folkwear.com) also has some others that are either '40s
      or that could cross over: Sophisticated Lady, the Glamour Girl
      Dress, or the '30s Day Dress. You could probably get away with the
      shorter version of the Beach Pyjamas. Or, if your friend wants to be
      scandalous, in the mold of Kate Hepburn, there are the Hollywood
      Pants trousers, worn with a neat camp shirt and a cardigan sweater
      tossed loosely over the shoulders (the sleeves tied in front) -- and
      a bit of an "I'm a star; I can do whatever I want" attitude.

      If you can't get Folkwear in time, I recently used Vogue 7903 quite
      successfully as the top of a shirtwaist (love those little notched
      cuffs on the short-sleeved version, but I hate the collar; go
      figure...), and it would work as that 'neat camp shirt', too.

      Get the silhouette right, and you can do almost anything with trim,
      etc. Think light and ladylike for a tea. And don't forget the white
      gloves!

      -- Emc^2

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Theresa Roden
      <troden56@s...> wrote:
      > Some friends are planning a holiday tea with a late 40's WWII
      theme. I've been asked to help make a dress from the period for one
      of the hostesses. I need some ideas of where to search for patterns
      for this.

      > Theresa
    • Roberta Belen
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 5, 2005
        This one I can actually answer! lol
        I know that Vogue has a section for vintage patterns, and there are

        On 10/4/05, Theresa Roden <troden56@...> wrote:

        > Some friends are planning a holiday tea with a late 40's WWII theme. I've
        > been asked to help make a dress from the period for one of the hostesses. I
        > need some ideas of where to search for patterns for this.
        >
        > Theresa

      • Roberta Belen
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 5, 2005
          oops
          Vogue has vintage patterns, and ebay has quite a few - the problem Ihave
          with ebay is finding vintage patterns in the correct sizes.
          I would also do a search on google.
          Roberta

          On 10/5/05, Roberta Belen <roberta.belen@...> wrote:

          > This one I can actually answer! lol
          > I know that Vogue has a section for vintage patterns, and there are
          >
          > On 10/4/05, Theresa Roden <troden56@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Some friends are planning a holiday tea with a late 40's WWII theme.
          > > I've been asked to help make a dress from the period for one of the
          > > hostesses. I need some ideas of where to search for patterns for this.
          > >
          > > Theresa

        • Michelle Davidson
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 5, 2005
            Does anyone know where I can find/buy padding to
            protect actors involved in stunts? We are doing
            "Noises Off!" and one character falls down a flight of
            stairs, among other pratfalls. I would like to
            protect his shoulders, back, knees and elbows and I am
            unsure where to start. Any hints greatly appreciated.
            --Michelle in Reno

            In the name of the Pasta, and of the Sauce, and of the Garlic Toast, RAmen.
            http://www.venganza.org/index.htm

            Yahoo! for Good
          • Sylvia Rognstad
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 5, 2005
              I designed that show this past summer. I think our actor only used
              knee pads. He was pretty good at falling down so he didn't think he
              needed anything else.

              Sylrog

              On Oct 5, 2005, at 1:56 PM, Michelle Davidson wrote:

              > Does anyone know where I can find/buy padding to
              > protect actors involved in stunts?  We are doing
              > "Noises Off!" and one character falls down a flight of
              > stairs, among other pratfalls.  I would like to
              > protect his shoulders, back, knees and elbows and I am
              > unsure where to start.  Any hints greatly appreciated.
              > --Michelle in Reno
              >

              > In the name of the Pasta, and of the Sauce, and of the Garlic Toast,
              > RAmen.
              > http://www.venganza.org/index.htm

              > Yahoo! for Good
              > Donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

              > Performing arts camp
              > Performing arts schools
              > School of performing arts
              > Denver performing arts complex
              > Center for the performing arts
              > Performing arts center
              >
              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >
              > ▪  Visit your group "TheCostumersManifesto" on the web.

              > Service.

            • thejoshuagoldberg
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 5, 2005
                Doesn't Garry's fall happen in the second act when the audience is
                facing "back stage"? Or does he also have a fall in the third act?
                It's been a while since doing the play so I can't quite remember.
              • Sylvia Rognstad
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 5, 2005
                  He falls onstage in the third act.

                  That is such a funny show, btw. I don't think I've ever had a better
                  time sitting through the whole dress rehearsal process. It just kept
                  getting funnier and funnier.

                  Sylrog

                  On Oct 5, 2005, at 5:06 PM, thejoshuagoldberg wrote:

                  > Doesn't Garry's fall happen in the second act when the audience is
                  > facing "back stage"?  Or does he also have a fall in the third act?
                  > It's been a while since doing the play so I can't quite remember.
                  >

                  > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                  >
                  > ▪  Visit your group "TheCostumersManifesto" on the web.

                  > Service.

                • Crystal Denton
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 6, 2005
                    I have patterns from the 40's themselves... They are given to me by my grandma years ago,
                    I have also seen some on e-bay.

                    Crystal