  • The Costume Shop
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2005
      Hi!
      I have a shop that has undergone several reincarnations. I do keep most of
      my patterns in a filing cabinet but I like the horizontaly wide kind of
      cabinet . It is less deep and therefore easier to search for the particular
      pattern that you need at present, (usually when time is important).
      Another thing I have been investing in of late are the plastic storage
      units with 3 or 4 drawers on casters. This way I can isolate my Victorian or
      Renaissance patterns from the others or some other specific category . I can
      slide them under my cutting table or my pressing table thus saving a lot of
      space. As to fabric storage , I tend to invest in those utility storage
      shelves made of heavy duty plastic. They are 4 or 5 shelves high and can be
      moved whereever you decide you want them. At one time I hid my better
      fabrics because some of my clientel would choose them instead of shopping
      for their own fabric. Once that no longer was a problem I simply moved them
      closer to my work area so I had easy access. Most of my storage is made up
      of these movable plastic storage units. I have found them to be sturdy
      enough to handle most of the weight I have stuffed them with. Hope this is
      a help. Beck
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2005