Shop storage of fabric and patterns

  • catslave54
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2005
      I have worked in many,many shops. They all keep their patterns in
      filing cabinets in 8 by 11 manila envelopes,even the new ones. Each
      has a photo or sketch of the item on the front(I put notes on mine
      like:Adelaide pink dot/Guys and Dolls). I keep mine by decade,then
      divided by body part(hat,bodice,sleeve,skirt,coat,vest).Some shops
      keep male and female and children's patterns separate,but I find
      that when I'm doing a period show,it's better when they are all
      together,so that's how I decided to store them.I have a Fantasy
      section in case I need to build another Palm Tree or Yeti.Findings
      like scissors,pins,zippers and velcro are in a large chest of
      drawers:each in its own large ziplock freezer bag. I have a jewelry
      chest of drawers,with plastic silverware divider drawers of
      pearls,silver,watches,etc. THAT one took a while to set up, but it
      was SO worth it!I have a chest with tights, gloves,glasses,fans and
      other small hand props.The fabric is in open bins on open shelves by
      color.I can pull out the "red" bin and root around in it.I have a
      bin for lace,for fur scraps, and a muslin bin and a trim bin.
      Buttons are in several pretty old tea tins and I pour them out into
      an old cookie sheet to go through.I have two empty bins for the
      scraps of the show currently in production, that does NOT get sorted
      until the show closes!Periodically I go through the bins and donate
      smaller pieces to the art salvage store or the local grade schools.
      They love exotic stuff,even 4 inches of sequin trim is useful!All
      this takes up a very small corner of my basement studio, which
      includes a cutting table,two machine tables, three rolling racks,
      four mannequins,and the occasional cat!