Re: Probem - gummed needle

  • stacy_stagnaro
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6 3:53 AM
      I have sewn on this fabric before, and I have found that if you buy
      sewers aid that this problem pretty much goes away. I think it is
      dritz that makes the sewers aid. pretty much it is a lubricant that
      you put on your needle to help it go through the fabric...i have
      heard that tape works as well, tape that you tear away after sewing
      on top of it. i have tried this method only on vinyl though, so you
      would have to try that one out on your own. Good luck!
      -Stacy

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., mrbs1163@a... wrote:
      > I have found that when you flatline the fabric you do not have this
      problem.
      > Also try stitchers aid, or cleaning the needle with alcohol.
      >
      > Maria
    • Siebel San
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6 6:33 AM

         I had that exact same problem when I was using the stuff for my Columbia jacket.  I am gald someone can sympathyze! :-)  If you put interfacing on the wrong side and try to do most of your stitching on the interfacing side, I think that might help.  That's what I did.  I also heard that you can but metallic needles for that type of fabric.  Hope this helps!

        -Jessie

        This is about sewing.  I bought "confetti dot", a black knit with
        small gold spangles glued on.  When I went to sew it, I found it gums
        up the needle so badly within about 4 inches that the thread won't
        catch, and it just won't sew.  Has anyone else ever run into this
        problem?  Any suggestions?  I tried hand sewing, but even that is
        really tough.