Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Shoe care question

  • Julia Trimarco
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 16, 2005
      Acetone (industrial strength, not nailpolish) is nasty, toxic stuff, but it's great for removing all kinds of added surfaces to old shoes, basically stripping them down to the original leather. As always, test a small area. (I'm not sure how "pleather" will react) Work in a WELL VENTILATED area, wear respirator, gloves, protect your clothing (wear cotton to be safe). You can probably get the acetone at a hardward store. And when I say well-ventilated, i mean nowhere where anyone is going to want to prepare or eat food for at least a day. Also, don't let it seep into grass, the bare earth, or a storm drain.

      If you want to go less toxic, used nail polish (as long as it has some actone in it, not all of them do these days) - it will take longer, but.....

      siobhan713 <siobhan7@...> wrote:
      I bought a pair of cheap "granny boots" several years ago that look
      somewhat Victorian. But, since I didn't have a Victorian dress until
      just recently, they have sat in the back of my closet. The problem
      I'm having is they are "shedding" and I've never even worn them. They
      are a sort of weird faux suede that almost feels like the texture was
      a spray on "flocking". I don't know if that makes sense, but that's
      the best way I can describe them. So, now this fake suede-ish stuff
      if flaking off and it feels really gummy underneath. Now, I don't
      mind the look because it just looks more broken in. But it's the
      sticky feel that's really bothering me. Lint keeps getting stuck to
      it and using a roller just takes off more of the texture. I was
      wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what I could try. At this
      point I don't mind if all of this fake junk comes off. The "pleather"
      underneath is fine. I was thinking about using some "Goo Gone" but
      thought that might just eat through it and make a bigger mess. Any
      suggestions? Thanks.

      Performing arts camp Performing arts schools School of performing arts Denver performing arts complex Center for the performing arts Performing arts center