hi

  • hermoine_hamster
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
      I wondered if anybody knows where I can find cut glass stones (with
      no holes) similar to the vintage czech stones found in costume
      jewellry?
    • neimhaille
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
        > I wondered if anybody knows where I can find cut glass stones (with
        > no holes) similar to the vintage czech stones found in costume
        > jewellry?

        Why not old costume jewellery? It's usually a heck of a lot cheaper
        than sourcing over the net or new stones in craft stores. I know I've
        seen them in Spotlight a few years ago.

        I have several pieces of costume jewellery from the 50s-90s and there
        is a *lot* more I can get from my nearest recycled clothing store.
        there is a lovely brooch I want.. might get it next time I go in
        actually..

        I'm sure you must have a localish store? And those 50s stones are
        just so lovely, is it fire treated or petrol treated? I forget which
        method it is but you get that lovely lustred coating.

        Are you wanting them to make your own jewellery? Just curious as it's
        not often someone wants the stones with *no* holes:)

        michaela
        http://recital.tipod.com
      • hermoine_hamster
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 7, 2002
          I have got some costume jewellery but I want a variety of different
          shapes and colours, I especially want the larger stones, with pointed
          backs (faceted all over), I don't mind if they are foiled or not.

          You mentioned spotlight - what is that?

          I do go to every charity shop, boot fair, antique fair and flea market
          that I hear about in order to search out stones. I would buy real
          gemstones if I could afford it :)

          I want the stones to start making tiaras mainly - you know the type
          that you imagine in a pirates haul or in fairy stories. I already do
          beading - especially the wire weaving stuff and the loom stuff, but I
          want to branch out into more 'sparkly' stuff and concentrate on tiaras
        • Flapper Gal
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 7, 2002
            Finally! Something I can help with :) I've collected
            the URLs of a couple sites for the time when I'll
            finally get around to replacing the lost stones in my
            vintage jewelry. (Whenever *that* might be!)

            This place was recommended by a few people on a
            vintage list that isn't around anymore, but supposedly
            he is very good...
            http://www.sparklz.com/matt/stone2.htm

            This site tells you how to work with them - if you are
            using foiled stones Do Not use regular glue or E6000.
            Found this out the hard way a while back :/ She has
            something called Hypnoglue which you are to use with
            foil stones. -
            http://www.sparkleplenty.com/info/clean.htm

            I just love the drapey collars here. It's not what
            you are looking for, just fun to peek at -
            http://www.ronsrhinestones.com/

            Hopefully these will help some if you don't find
            enough vintage jewelry to pick apart :)

            Moxie

            --- neimhaille <vcairistiona@...> wrote:
            > > I wondered if anybody knows where I can find cut
            > glass stones (with no holes) similar to the vintage
            czech stones found in costume jewellry?

            http://greetings.yahoo.com
          • hermoine_hamster
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 14, 2002
              Thanks Moxie and everyone for your help with the stones, the
              firemountain website is awesome and the sparklz website is so cool! I
              have also moved onto the idea of using some chandelier glass in my
              creations. When I have finished anything worth looking at I'll let
              you know!

              Cheers everyone, Love Olivia
            • SANDIE ROSE

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 14, 2002

                    SANDIE ROSE <lilrosiejane@...> wrote:

                  please remove me from your e-mail listing

                  thank you

                  sandie rose

                    hermoine_hamster <jettri@...> wrote:

                  Thanks Moxie and everyone for your help with the stones, the
                  firemountain website is awesome and the sparklz website is so cool! I
                  have also moved onto the idea of using some chandelier glass in my
                  creations. When I have finished anything worth looking at I'll let
                  you know!

                  Cheers everyone, Love Olivia

                • Julia Logan Trimarco
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 24, 2002
                    >From: "hermoine_hamster" <jettri@...>
                    >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] hi
                    >Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 11:07:58 -0000
                    >
                    >I wondered if anybody knows where I can find cut glass stones (with
                    >no holes) similar to the vintage czech stones found in costume
                    >jewellry?

                    Here are several suppliers in the garment district. If you are at all near
                    the New York area, I would recommend the trip. It is hard to tell the real
                    color and luster of stones by looking at pictures. If you can't make it
                    there, several of these businesses do mail order. Some stores, however,
                    only sell by the gross. I have noted so, where I am familiar with their
                    policies (I spent a short time shopping for a theatrical costumier in the
                    city). When you call, you can always ask if they have a minimum order. I
                    think you'll find a full range, from the highest quality Swarovski crystals,
                    to the least expensive.

                    Elliot, Greene & Co, Inc.
                    37 West 37th St.
                    212.391.9075
                    wholesale only

                    Fred Frankel & Sons, Inc.
                    Jeweltrim Inc.
                    Jewel Fastener Corp.
                    19 West 38th St.
                    info@...
                    212.840.0810

                    Joyce Trimming Inc.
                    109 West 38th St.
                    www.HiJoyce.com
                    mark@...
                    212.719.3110

                    M & J Trimming
                    1008 6th Ave.
                    www.mjtrim.com
                    212.391.9072

                    Mayer Import Co., Inc.
                    25 West 37th St.
                    212.391.3830
                    www-mayerimport.com
                    mayerimport@...
                    gross minimum on some items

                    New York Beads Inc.
                    1026 6th Ave.
                    212.382.2994

                    36 Trimming Corp.
                    230 West 38th St.
                    646.728.0300
                    gross minimum

                    Toho Shoji Inc.
                    990 6th Ave.
                    212.868.7465

                    Hope this helps!

                  • Beth Starbuck
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 29, 2002
                      hi I just joined this eGroup....  and I think I successfully posted a message already but I got an email that said :

                      "To start sending messages to members of this group,
                      simply send email to TheCostumersManifesto@egroups.com"

                      So I am doing that now....

                      do you need anything else from me ???

                      thanks, Beth
                    • brij1000
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 9, 2006
                        hi

                        i am new to your group & i like designing dresses.

                        can any body send me any site where i can submit my design for other
                        people or company.

                        Thank you.

                        Regards

                        brij