Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Probem - gummed needle

  • celticliongarb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2002
      I ran into this same problem last halloween when I had an ingenious idea for some mermaid costumes.  It like to have driven me nuts!  I wish I had some advice to offer, but you definitely have my sympathies!

      -The Celtic Lion

      www.thecelticlion.com
    • mrbs1163@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2002
        I have found that when you flatline the fabric you do not have this problem.  Also try stitchers aid, or cleaning the needle with alcohol.

        Maria
      • stacy_stagnaro
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2002
          I have sewn on this fabric before, and I have found that if you buy
          sewers aid that this problem pretty much goes away. I think it is
          dritz that makes the sewers aid. pretty much it is a lubricant that
          you put on your needle to help it go through the fabric...i have
          heard that tape works as well, tape that you tear away after sewing
          on top of it. i have tried this method only on vinyl though, so you
          would have to try that one out on your own. Good luck!
          -Stacy

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., mrbs1163@a... wrote:
          > I have found that when you flatline the fabric you do not have this
          problem.
          > Also try stitchers aid, or cleaning the needle with alcohol.
          >
          > Maria
        • Siebel San
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6, 2002

             I had that exact same problem when I was using the stuff for my Columbia jacket.  I am gald someone can sympathyze! :-)  If you put interfacing on the wrong side and try to do most of your stitching on the interfacing side, I think that might help.  That's what I did.  I also heard that you can but metallic needles for that type of fabric.  Hope this helps!

            -Jessie

            This is about sewing.  I bought "confetti dot", a black knit with
            small gold spangles glued on.  When I went to sew it, I found it gums
            up the needle so badly within about 4 inches that the thread won't
            catch, and it just won't sew.  Has anyone else ever run into this
            problem?  Any suggestions?  I tried hand sewing, but even that is
            really tough.