Probem - gummed needle

  • keziamara
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2002
      This is about sewing. I bought "confetti dot", a black knit with
      small gold spangles glued on. When I went to sew it, I found it gums
      up the needle so badly within about 4 inches that the thread won't
      catch, and it just won't sew. Has anyone else ever run into this
      problem? Any suggestions? I tried hand sewing, but even that is
      really tough.
    • celticliongarb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2002
        I ran into this same problem last halloween when I had an ingenious idea for some mermaid costumes.  It like to have driven me nuts!  I wish I had some advice to offer, but you definitely have my sympathies!

        -The Celtic Lion

        www.thecelticlion.com
      • mrbs1163@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2002
          I have found that when you flatline the fabric you do not have this problem.  Also try stitchers aid, or cleaning the needle with alcohol.

          Maria
        • stacy_stagnaro
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6, 2002
            I have sewn on this fabric before, and I have found that if you buy
            sewers aid that this problem pretty much goes away. I think it is
            dritz that makes the sewers aid. pretty much it is a lubricant that
            you put on your needle to help it go through the fabric...i have
            heard that tape works as well, tape that you tear away after sewing
            on top of it. i have tried this method only on vinyl though, so you
            would have to try that one out on your own. Good luck!
            -Stacy

            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@y..., mrbs1163@a... wrote:
            > I have found that when you flatline the fabric you do not have this
            problem.
            > Also try stitchers aid, or cleaning the needle with alcohol.
            >
            > Maria
          • Siebel San