Evil Stuff!

  • Siebel San
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 5 3:00 PM

      Allo all!

      Does anyone have some general tips about velvet?  Like how to keep it from creeping all over the place?  And how to keep the panne stuff from curling at the edges?

      Thanks!

      Jessie

      - - - - - - - - - -

    • celticliongarb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 5 3:05 PM
        Not sure what to tell ya about the panne curling LOL - I haven't worked with it very much.

        On velvet, however, the only advice is go SLOOOOWWWWLYYYY.  Shorten your stitch length by quite a bit, and go along at a snail's pace, checking constantly to make sure that all layers are still even.

        -The Celtic Lion

        www.thecelticlion.com
      • Heidi Horan
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 5 3:59 PM
          I have found the only way to save my sanity when
          working with velvet, and also all other modes of
          creepy fabric, is to hand baste. It really only takes
          a little more time and then it can't crawl on you.
          Also, avoiding it helps. Regards, Heidi J. Horan
          --- Siebel San <siebelsan@...> wrote:

          > Allo all!
          > Does anyone have some general tips about velvet?
          > Like how to keep it from creeping all over the
          > place? And how to keep the panne stuff from curling
          > at the edges?
          > Thanks!
          > Jessie
          >

          > "I would die for you." -Kevin Costner, Robin Hood:
          > Prince of Thieves
          > - - - - - - - - - -
          > "I've noticed that famous composers in particular
          > hang on for a long time. Deaf as posts, most of
          > them, when Death comes calling. I expect some god
          > somewhere finds that very amusing. It's their kind
          > of a joke.*"
          >
          > *And course, one that misfires. Deafness doesn't
          > prevent composers from hearing the music. It
          > prevents them from hearing the distractions.
          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • theresa b
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 6 11:34 AM
            When I made a dress with panne (ooh panne and tricot, that was evil) I used
            parchment paper to stabilize the velvet. I basted the velvet onto the
            paper, made my stitches and then just ripped it away when i was done. of
            course I was doing some complicated machine embroidery, but I'm sure it
            still holds. I don't like to wear velevt anymore just because I'm holding a
            grudge.

            titi

            >From: celticliongarb@...
            >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Evil Stuff!
            >Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 18:05:10 EST
            >
            >Not sure what to tell ya about the panne curling LOL - I haven't worked
            >with
            >it very much.
            >
            >On velvet, however, the only advice is go SLOOOOWWWWLYYYY. Shorten your
            >stitch length by quite a bit, and go along at a snail's pace, checking
            >constantly to make sure that all layers are still even.
            >
            >-The Celtic Lion
            >
            >www.thecelticlion.com

            I'm in love with the world through the eyes of a girl

          • neimhaille
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 6 3:22 PM
              > When I made a dress with panne (ooh panne and tricot, that was
              evil) I used
              > parchment paper to stabilize the velvet. I basted the velvet onto
              the
              > paper, made my stitches and then just ripped it away when i was
              done. of
              > course I was doing some complicated machine embroidery, but I'm
              sure it
              > still holds. I don't like to wear velevt anymore just because I'm
              holding a
              > grudge.

              lol! I just glare at the fabric for a while then give in;). Yep,
              sounds like a good idea. I'd say try all of the methods given, and
              throw one more in.. pin pin pin..
              I pinned my velvet every cm and really smooshed the piles together
              kind of but not really like velcro.

              As for preventing the panne rolling... is this when you cut it or
              make it up into a finished garment? I have sleeves on a bodice that
              curl.. if I was to make it again I'd iron a bit of interfacing to the
              edges, using the point of the iron to unroll as I went. Then hem it
              like usual, the interfacing would only be as deep as the hemming, or
              maybe a cm over.

              If it's when you cut... it seems that panne really rolls when it is
              stretched, and is quite sensitive to this. Maybe if you have your
              pattern pieces on card, then as you pin the panne to it, be careful
              not to stretch, and leave the panne on it until you are ready to sew.
              This way it woun't have much change to curl into unrecognisable
              shapes?

              Dunno. I used panne on the body of the bodice, but it was layered
              with a heavy knit with little give, so had no real problems with it.

              michaela
              http://recital.tripod.com
            • Siebel San
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 8 9:47 PM

                First off, thanks all for the advice :-)

                Second, the panne curls while I am working with it, tying to pin the pieces together evenly and get the seam allowances matched.  Thats a good idea, the interfacing at the edges.  Panne usually has to be reinforced with something anyways cause it's not too heavy.  At least, usually not heavy enough for the ren/medieval scene.

                Thanks again everyone!

                Jessie

                - - - - - - - - - -

              • Siebel San
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 18 7:05 PM

                  Hi Dianne,

                  I talked to Debbie, and she says I gave you the right address, so you may have typed it in wrong.  I'll give it to you again - maybe I made the typo ;-)  Here you are: ddcowan@...

                  Hope it works!

                  -Jessie

                  - - - - - - - - - -

                • Dianne Hartshorn
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 19 10:56 AM
                    Hi,
                    I tried the link again.  Thank you for replying
                    Dianne
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 20 8:40 AM

                      Hi,
                      I tried the link again.  Thank you for replying
                      Dianne

                      Did it work this time?
                      -Jessie

                    • Dianne Hartshorn