  • Curtis Kidd
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2005
      > From: Costume Gallery <costumegallery@...>
      > Subject: Re: Re: Jewels
      >
      > Heat Set jewels are wonderful. I mail ordered them from
      > Creative
      > Crystal along with the heating tool. I first used them 4
      > years ago on
      > a princess dress. I applied them to sheer lace and
      > netting, without
      > any buning. The crystals have survived multiple washing.
      > I have also
      > used them on shoes and nude netting.
      >
      > I have 2 heat tools so one is heating while I'm using the
      > other. Many
      > professionals use this product on costumes that are worn
      > repeatedly,
      > through amusement park shows. These are worth using.

      I will vouch for that, since I work at an amusement park.
      If you have the right tip on the setting iron, you never
      actually contact the fabric so there's no danger of burning
      a hole through it as long as you are paying attention to
      what you're doing.

      I often end up laying out the costume piece on a table or
      ironing board, then lay out the crystals in the pattern I
      want on the fabric. Then I hit each crystal, individually,
      with the iron for about ten seconds. That's all it
      takes...they're set, and if they come off, it only takes a
      few seconds to replace them (but they rarely come off,
      especially the newer ones since they've improved the
      glues). I've worked with two other costumers who use these
      a lot...they both have totally different techniques for
      applying them. I've tried their techniques, I prefer
      mine...and they've tried mine and prefer theirs.

      Just be careful that you're getting good crystals. I love
      the Swarovski, I think they are well worth the higher
      price. Haven't seen anything else that looks as sharp,
      catches the light as nicely, and stays in place as well, in
      six years of doing this for the park.

      Curtis Kidd

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Kathryn Parke
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2005
        I'm thinking of going w/ the Swarovski Nailheads, as opposed to the rhinestones -- would you agree w/ Cat that they provide lots of glitter?

        Thanks, guys! You've all been a big help!

        KP

        Curtis Kidd <gckidd@...> wrote:
        > From: Costume Gallery <costumegallery@...>
        > Subject: Re: Re: Jewels
        >
        > Heat Set jewels are wonderful. I mail ordered them from
        > Creative
        > Crystal along with the heating tool. I first used them 4
        > years ago on
        > a princess dress. I applied them to sheer lace and
        > netting, without
        > any buning. The crystals have survived multiple washing.
        > I have also
        > used them on shoes and nude netting.
        >
        > I have 2 heat tools so one is heating while I'm using the
        > other. Many
        > professionals use this product on costumes that are worn
        > repeatedly,
        > through amusement park shows. These are worth using.

        I will vouch for that, since I work at an amusement park.
        If you have the right tip on the setting iron, you never
        actually contact the fabric so there's no danger of burning
        a hole through it as long as you are paying attention to
        what you're doing.

        I often end up laying out the costume piece on a table or
        ironing board, then lay out the crystals in the pattern I
        want on the fabric. Then I hit each crystal, individually,
        with the iron for about ten seconds. That's all it
        takes...they're set, and if they come off, it only takes a
        few seconds to replace them (but they rarely come off,
        especially the newer ones since they've improved the
        glues). I've worked with two other costumers who use these
        a lot...they both have totally different techniques for
        applying them. I've tried their techniques, I prefer
        mine...and they've tried mine and prefer theirs.

        Just be careful that you're getting good crystals. I love
        the Swarovski, I think they are well worth the higher
        price. Haven't seen anything else that looks as sharp,
        catches the light as nicely, and stays in place as well, in
        six years of doing this for the park.

        Curtis Kidd

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

        Performing arts camp Performing arts schools School of performing arts Denver performing arts complex Center for the performing arts Performing arts center

      • Cat Devereaux
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2005
          >>I'm thinking of going w/ the Swarovski Nailheads, as opposed to the
          rhinestones -- would you agree w/ Cat that they provide lots of glitter?

          Nothing provides shine like real crystal... However, if you mix the two
          together... you'll fool they eyes. Use just some of the smaller crystal to
          catch light in main points and then use the nail heads in the rest. They
          nail heads are shinny Mylar. The faceted nail head will catch more light.

          -Cat-