Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Jewels

  • neci1952@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 3, 2005
      I've made fifty girls dance costumes with tutus. I have all the bodices cut
      and sewed together--been working all summer on them--now I'm ready to cut and
      make the bottoms pieces that goes with the tops. This thing goes off in
      January, last year I was still putting hems in almost up to curtain time, I machine
      them with a quarter inch turn up AND THEY LOOKED GREAT. But I didn't like the
      way the hems pulled down the netting under them. So my question is Were can I
      buy one of these hot knife tools that I hear everyone talking about to cut
      and set the hems in dance costumes and what is the name of the tool so that I
      can go and buy it at a reasonable price? And do ya'll think that I'm on the
      right track or is there any thing else that I can do that would made this go
      quicker and look better any feedback would be great as I'm doing this all by
      myself. THANK YOU

    • Cat Devereaux
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 3, 2005
        >> So my question is Were can I
        buy one of these hot knife tools that I hear everyone talking

        You may have what you need at home... If you've got a soldering iron with
        changeable tips you should just go to your local hobby store or hardware
        store.... and by tips. If you have the Bejewler kit we've just been talking
        about from creative crystal you just buy the tips.

        Just so folks know what I'm talking about I'm pulling up some images. These
        are just what google up the fastest... no recommendation implied one way or
        the other...

        Hot knife: http://www.hobbico.com/tools/hcar0770.html Note: it looks
        like... and is... an exacto knife on a soldering gun. Note beside it on the
        top picture that the little soldering tip is laying beside it. 2nd note...
        this is the bottom end of a hot knife and not what is used in FX work for
        cutting/sculpting large bits of foam... you can goggle for those tools under
        hot knife and see the difference.... but this is all you need to do the
        basics.

        http://store.artcity.com/xac-73780.html is in fact the same product by
        exacto

        OK... pictures aren't as clear here... but here's dremels kit, with tools
        for woodburning/leather decoration... and also just the hot knife tip..
        http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=dremel+hot+knife&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=ff&o
        i=froogler

        Have fun!

        -Cat-