Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] children's sizes

  • Crystal Denton
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2005
      I did, but that was back when e-bay was just starting, and not overly saturated with stuff like it
      is now. I thought about doing just a few this year but decided against it... To many have jumped
      on the bandwagon now with stuff, not as good of a qaulity as I do but cheaper. I suggest before
      you spend to much in supplies you try one out and see how it goes. I did make some money but
      the problems it caused on my health kind of counter acted any money I made.. Not to mention
      the fast food I had to keep buying for my family due to lack of time as well as other issues.
      I think it all ended up being a wash in the long run... To many people now are selling Rubies, and
      Morris costumes on e-bay for wholessale price pratically so you can't even begin to compete
      with that, unless you can come up with something they don't have, but that is few and far inbetween.
      They have too much money backing them and the movie studios will tell them what movies are
      coming out even before they do... the market now from even 5 years ago is completely different ,
      and so is e-bay... Good luck with whatever you decide.

      Crystal
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2005
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
        <sylvia@n...> wrote:
        > The problem is I already started making a skirt with a Burda
        pattern
        > and want to make a top to go with it but the measurement for the
        chest
        > that is supposed to be a size 6 is a lot bigger than the American
        size
        > 6 so I'm not sure what to do.

        > > using a Burda pattern and its sizes seem to be quite different
        than
        > > those of the big 3 American pattern companies
        > >
        > > How about Simplicity's sizing chart instead.... complete with
        those
        > > measurements:
        > > http://www.simplicity.com/section/fittips/meas_charts/
        > > MeasCharInches.pdf
        > >
        > > -Cat-

        Syrog,
        I have been trying to "design" and "size" little "heirloom" dresses
        and rompers for wee ones.... infants to about size 4. There are
        no "standards" in clothing sizing in the US... our dear government
        threw them out back in 1982 or 83. Companies are free to call any
        thing they want a size 6. Ditto for women's and men's sizes.

        I found a really good and thorough set of measurements for children's
        bodies, Newborn to size 12, at the Fiber Gypsy. Now, these are
        raw "body" measurements used for fitting knitwear.... not clothing
        measurements. You have to add "ease" to all of them in making
        clothing pattern pieces. The chart can be found at
        http://www.fibergypsy.com/common/children.shtml

        Another good "pattern" size chart can be found at the Children's
        Corner... a company that does patterns for infants to size 12 or so.
        Don't have the url to it handy, but just google "Children's Corner
        Size Charts" and you'll get them.... one for girls and one for boys.
        It gives you an idea how big to make the neck bands, how wide to make
        the chests, how wide the sleeve bands (for short sleeves), and how
        long... shoulder to hem (dresses) or waist to crotch (pants), etc.

        I've found both charts very helpful.
        Tess
      • Siebel San
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 15, 2005
          I was just going to post something similar...
          We all know that, the Big 3, the sizes don't match up with
          modern dress sizes, e.g. I wear a dress size 8-10, but a
          pattern size 12-14. Is there a discrepency in the
          children's sizes, and if so, what is it? Hope someone can
          tell me :-)
          Thanks!
          Jessica

          http://mail.yahoo.com