Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Jewels

  • neci1952@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 3, 2005
      I've made fifty girls dance costumes with tutus. I have all the bodices cut
      and sewed together--been working all summer on them--now I'm ready to cut and
      make the bottoms pieces that goes with the tops. This thing goes off in
      January, last year I was still putting hems in almost up to curtain time, I machine
      them with a quarter inch turn up AND THEY LOOKED GREAT. But I didn't like the
      way the hems pulled down the netting under them. So my question is Were can I
      buy one of these hot knife tools that I hear everyone talking about to cut
      and set the hems in dance costumes and what is the name of the tool so that I
      can go and buy it at a reasonable price? And do ya'll think that I'm on the
      right track or is there any thing else that I can do that would made this go
      quicker and look better any feedback would be great as I'm doing this all by
      myself. THANK YOU

    • Costume Gallery
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 3, 2005
        Heat Set jewels are wonderful. I mail ordered them from Creative
        Crystal along with the heating tool. I first used them 4 years ago on
        a princess dress. I applied them to sheer lace and netting, without
        any buning. The crystals have survived multiple washing. I have also
        used them on shoes and nude netting.

        I have 2 heat tools so one is heating while I'm using the other. Many
        professionals use this product on costumes that are worn repeatedly,
        through amusement park shows. These are worth using. The price is not
        outrageous.

        Creative Crystal Co.
        6222 Tower Ln. Suite B-7
        Sarasota, FL 34240
        800-578-0716
        www.creative-cryatal.com

        On Sep 1, 2005, at 4:05 PM, Cat Devereaux wrote:

        >>> We haven't yet used the heat-set jewels, as we can't get them here
        > and hesitate to do a mail order and find out they don't
        > work.
        >
        > Well, the new ones by Swarovski have the glue issues solved... The
        > entertainment industries out in LA have taken to the Swarovski by
        > storm and
        > this includes the, ah, dancers who need to laundry their stuff all the
        > time.
        >
        > The other brands are still having issues. Berger Beads in downtown LA
        > are
        > now carrying these kind exclusively.
        >

        >>> Besides, we tend to use a lot of very heat-sensitive fabrics,
        > so not sure they would accept heat-setting.
        >
        > True that would soooooooo melt things. These heat set jewels are set
        > by the
        > same type of soldering iron with changeable tips that you can use for
        > a hot
        > knife. You just order another set of tips.... don't even new a new
        > tool.
        >
        > But, yes... would melt nylon type fabrics. Though I've seen these
        > used on
        > silks.
        >

        > Then again... this is why we do little things like have dozens of
        > tool, and
        > a couple of dozen glues... because we always want the right thing for
        > the
        > job.... we love our toys.
        >
        > -Cat-
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Cat Devereaux
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 3, 2005
          >> So my question is Were can I
          buy one of these hot knife tools that I hear everyone talking

          You may have what you need at home... If you've got a soldering iron with
          changeable tips you should just go to your local hobby store or hardware
          store.... and by tips. If you have the Bejewler kit we've just been talking
          about from creative crystal you just buy the tips.

          Just so folks know what I'm talking about I'm pulling up some images. These
          are just what google up the fastest... no recommendation implied one way or
          the other...

          Hot knife: http://www.hobbico.com/tools/hcar0770.html Note: it looks
          like... and is... an exacto knife on a soldering gun. Note beside it on the
          top picture that the little soldering tip is laying beside it. 2nd note...
          this is the bottom end of a hot knife and not what is used in FX work for
          cutting/sculpting large bits of foam... you can goggle for those tools under
          hot knife and see the difference.... but this is all you need to do the
          basics.

          http://store.artcity.com/xac-73780.html is in fact the same product by
          exacto

          OK... pictures aren't as clear here... but here's dremels kit, with tools
          for woodburning/leather decoration... and also just the hot knife tip..
          http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=dremel+hot+knife&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=ff&o
          i=froogler

          Have fun!

          -Cat-