RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] children's sizes

  • Cat Devereaux
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2 2:18 PM
      >>  I have run into a problem already with sizing.  i was
      using a Burda pattern and its sizes seem to be quite different than
      those of the big 3 American pattern companies

      How about Simplicity's sizing chart instead.... complete with those
      measurements:
      http://www.simplicity.com/section/fittips/meas_charts/MeasCharInches.pdf

      -Cat-
    • Crystal Denton
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2 5:59 PM
        I did, but that was back when e-bay was just starting, and not overly saturated with stuff like it
        is now. I thought about doing just a few this year but decided against it... To many have jumped
        on the bandwagon now with stuff, not as good of a qaulity as I do but cheaper. I suggest before
        you spend to much in supplies you try one out and see how it goes. I did make some money but
        the problems it caused on my health kind of counter acted any money I made.. Not to mention
        the fast food I had to keep buying for my family due to lack of time as well as other issues.
        I think it all ended up being a wash in the long run... To many people now are selling Rubies, and
        Morris costumes on e-bay for wholessale price pratically so you can't even begin to compete
        with that, unless you can come up with something they don't have, but that is few and far inbetween.
        They have too much money backing them and the movie studios will tell them what movies are
        coming out even before they do... the market now from even 5 years ago is completely different ,
        and so is e-bay... Good luck with whatever you decide.

        Crystal
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2 8:40 PM
          The problem is I already started making a skirt with a Burda pattern
          and want to make a top to go with it but the measurement for the chest
          that is supposed to be a size 6 is a lot bigger than the American size
          6 so I'm not sure what to do.

          On Sep 2, 2005, at 3:18 PM, Cat Devereaux wrote:

          > >>  I have run into a problem already with sizing.  i was
          > using a Burda pattern and its sizes seem to be quite different than
          > those of the big 3 American pattern companies
          >
          > How about Simplicity's sizing chart instead.... complete with those
          > measurements:
          > http://www.simplicity.com/section/fittips/meas_charts/
          > MeasCharInches.pdf
          >
          > -Cat-
          >

          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >
          > ▪  Visit your group "TheCostumersManifesto" on the web.

          > Service.

        • tjchatham
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3 6:40 AM
            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
            <sylvia@n...> wrote:
            > The problem is I already started making a skirt with a Burda
            pattern
            > and want to make a top to go with it but the measurement for the
            chest
            > that is supposed to be a size 6 is a lot bigger than the American
            size
            > 6 so I'm not sure what to do.

            > > using a Burda pattern and its sizes seem to be quite different
            than
            > > those of the big 3 American pattern companies
            > >
            > > How about Simplicity's sizing chart instead.... complete with
            those
            > > measurements:
            > > http://www.simplicity.com/section/fittips/meas_charts/
            > > MeasCharInches.pdf
            > >
            > > -Cat-

            Syrog,
            I have been trying to "design" and "size" little "heirloom" dresses
            and rompers for wee ones.... infants to about size 4. There are
            no "standards" in clothing sizing in the US... our dear government
            threw them out back in 1982 or 83. Companies are free to call any
            thing they want a size 6. Ditto for women's and men's sizes.

            I found a really good and thorough set of measurements for children's
            bodies, Newborn to size 12, at the Fiber Gypsy. Now, these are
            raw "body" measurements used for fitting knitwear.... not clothing
            measurements. You have to add "ease" to all of them in making
            clothing pattern pieces. The chart can be found at
            http://www.fibergypsy.com/common/children.shtml

            Another good "pattern" size chart can be found at the Children's
            Corner... a company that does patterns for infants to size 12 or so.
            Don't have the url to it handy, but just google "Children's Corner
            Size Charts" and you'll get them.... one for girls and one for boys.
            It gives you an idea how big to make the neck bands, how wide to make
            the chests, how wide the sleeve bands (for short sleeves), and how
            long... shoulder to hem (dresses) or waist to crotch (pants), etc.

            I've found both charts very helpful.
            Tess
          • Siebel San
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 15 7:44 AM
              I was just going to post something similar...
              We all know that, the Big 3, the sizes don't match up with
              modern dress sizes, e.g. I wear a dress size 8-10, but a
              pattern size 12-14. Is there a discrepency in the
              children's sizes, and if so, what is it? Hope someone can
              tell me :-)
              Thanks!
              Jessica

              http://mail.yahoo.com