RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] children's sizes

  • Cat Devereaux
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2005
      >>  I have run into a problem already with sizing.  i was
      using a Burda pattern and its sizes seem to be quite different than
      those of the big 3 American pattern companies

      How about Simplicity's sizing chart instead.... complete with those
      measurements:
      http://www.simplicity.com/section/fittips/meas_charts/MeasCharInches.pdf

      -Cat-
    • Sylvia Rognstad
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2005
        Did you sell them on ebay? And did you make any money at it?

        On Sep 2, 2005, at 2:34 PM, Crystal Denton wrote:

        > LOL  ...I did that one year!  Never again! I made 60 costumes the week
        > before Halloween....
        > It was a nightmare...  I think all togather I did about 150 in
        > September and October...
        > Crystal

      • Crystal Denton
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2005
          I did, but that was back when e-bay was just starting, and not overly saturated with stuff like it
          is now. I thought about doing just a few this year but decided against it... To many have jumped
          on the bandwagon now with stuff, not as good of a qaulity as I do but cheaper. I suggest before
          you spend to much in supplies you try one out and see how it goes. I did make some money but
          the problems it caused on my health kind of counter acted any money I made.. Not to mention
          the fast food I had to keep buying for my family due to lack of time as well as other issues.
          I think it all ended up being a wash in the long run... To many people now are selling Rubies, and
          Morris costumes on e-bay for wholessale price pratically so you can't even begin to compete
          with that, unless you can come up with something they don't have, but that is few and far inbetween.
          They have too much money backing them and the movie studios will tell them what movies are
          coming out even before they do... the market now from even 5 years ago is completely different ,
          and so is e-bay... Good luck with whatever you decide.

          Crystal
          Did you sell them on ebay? And did you make any money at it?

          On Sep 2, 2005, at 2:34 PM, Crystal Denton wrote:

          > LOL ...I did that one year! Never again! I made 60 costumes the week
          > before Halloween....
          > It was a nightmare... I think all togather I did about 150 in
          > September and October...
          > Crystal

        • Sylvia Rognstad
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2005
            The problem is I already started making a skirt with a Burda pattern
            and want to make a top to go with it but the measurement for the chest
            that is supposed to be a size 6 is a lot bigger than the American size
            6 so I'm not sure what to do.

            On Sep 2, 2005, at 3:18 PM, Cat Devereaux wrote:

            > >>  I have run into a problem already with sizing.  i was
            > using a Burda pattern and its sizes seem to be quite different than
            > those of the big 3 American pattern companies
            >
            > How about Simplicity's sizing chart instead.... complete with those
            > measurements:
            > http://www.simplicity.com/section/fittips/meas_charts/
            > MeasCharInches.pdf
            >
            > -Cat-
            >

            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >
            > ▪  Visit your group "TheCostumersManifesto" on the web.

            > Service.

          • tjchatham
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 3, 2005
              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
              <sylvia@n...> wrote:
              > The problem is I already started making a skirt with a Burda
              pattern
              > and want to make a top to go with it but the measurement for the
              chest
              > that is supposed to be a size 6 is a lot bigger than the American
              size
              > 6 so I'm not sure what to do.

              > > using a Burda pattern and its sizes seem to be quite different
              than
              > > those of the big 3 American pattern companies
              > >
              > > How about Simplicity's sizing chart instead.... complete with
              those
              > > measurements:
              > > http://www.simplicity.com/section/fittips/meas_charts/
              > > MeasCharInches.pdf
              > >
              > > -Cat-

              Syrog,
              I have been trying to "design" and "size" little "heirloom" dresses
              and rompers for wee ones.... infants to about size 4. There are
              no "standards" in clothing sizing in the US... our dear government
              threw them out back in 1982 or 83. Companies are free to call any
              thing they want a size 6. Ditto for women's and men's sizes.

              I found a really good and thorough set of measurements for children's
              bodies, Newborn to size 12, at the Fiber Gypsy. Now, these are
              raw "body" measurements used for fitting knitwear.... not clothing
              measurements. You have to add "ease" to all of them in making
              clothing pattern pieces. The chart can be found at
              http://www.fibergypsy.com/common/children.shtml

              Another good "pattern" size chart can be found at the Children's
              Corner... a company that does patterns for infants to size 12 or so.
              Don't have the url to it handy, but just google "Children's Corner
              Size Charts" and you'll get them.... one for girls and one for boys.
              It gives you an idea how big to make the neck bands, how wide to make
              the chests, how wide the sleeve bands (for short sleeves), and how
              long... shoulder to hem (dresses) or waist to crotch (pants), etc.

              I've found both charts very helpful.
              Tess
            • Siebel San
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 15, 2005
                I was just going to post something similar...
                We all know that, the Big 3, the sizes don't match up with
                modern dress sizes, e.g. I wear a dress size 8-10, but a
                pattern size 12-14. Is there a discrepency in the
                children's sizes, and if so, what is it? Hope someone can
                tell me :-)
                Thanks!
                Jessica

                http://mail.yahoo.com