Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] children's sizes

  • Crystal Denton
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2005
      LOL ...I did that one year! Never again! I made 60 costumes the week before Halloween....
      It was a nightmare... I think all togather I did about 150 in September and October...
      Crystal
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2005
        >>  I have run into a problem already with sizing.  i was
        using a Burda pattern and its sizes seem to be quite different than
        those of the big 3 American pattern companies

        How about Simplicity's sizing chart instead.... complete with those
        measurements:
        http://www.simplicity.com/section/fittips/meas_charts/MeasCharInches.pdf

        -Cat-
      • Sylvia Rognstad
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2005
          Did you sell them on ebay? And did you make any money at it?

          On Sep 2, 2005, at 2:34 PM, Crystal Denton wrote:

          > LOL  ...I did that one year!  Never again! I made 60 costumes the week
          > before Halloween....
          > It was a nightmare...  I think all togather I did about 150 in
          > September and October...
          > Crystal

        • Crystal Denton
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2005
            I did, but that was back when e-bay was just starting, and not overly saturated with stuff like it
            is now. I thought about doing just a few this year but decided against it... To many have jumped
            on the bandwagon now with stuff, not as good of a qaulity as I do but cheaper. I suggest before
            you spend to much in supplies you try one out and see how it goes. I did make some money but
            the problems it caused on my health kind of counter acted any money I made.. Not to mention
            the fast food I had to keep buying for my family due to lack of time as well as other issues.
            I think it all ended up being a wash in the long run... To many people now are selling Rubies, and
            Morris costumes on e-bay for wholessale price pratically so you can't even begin to compete
            with that, unless you can come up with something they don't have, but that is few and far inbetween.
            They have too much money backing them and the movie studios will tell them what movies are
            coming out even before they do... the market now from even 5 years ago is completely different ,
            and so is e-bay... Good luck with whatever you decide.

            Crystal
            Did you sell them on ebay? And did you make any money at it?

            On Sep 2, 2005, at 2:34 PM, Crystal Denton wrote:

            > LOL ...I did that one year! Never again! I made 60 costumes the week
            > before Halloween....
            > It was a nightmare... I think all togather I did about 150 in
            > September and October...
            > Crystal

          • Sylvia Rognstad
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2005
              The problem is I already started making a skirt with a Burda pattern
              and want to make a top to go with it but the measurement for the chest
              that is supposed to be a size 6 is a lot bigger than the American size
              6 so I'm not sure what to do.

              On Sep 2, 2005, at 3:18 PM, Cat Devereaux wrote:

              > >>  I have run into a problem already with sizing.  i was
              > using a Burda pattern and its sizes seem to be quite different than
              > those of the big 3 American pattern companies
              >
              > How about Simplicity's sizing chart instead.... complete with those
              > measurements:
              > http://www.simplicity.com/section/fittips/meas_charts/
              > MeasCharInches.pdf
              >
              > -Cat-
              >

              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >
              > ▪  Visit your group "TheCostumersManifesto" on the web.

              > Service.

            • tjchatham
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 3, 2005
                --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
                <sylvia@n...> wrote:
                > The problem is I already started making a skirt with a Burda
                pattern
                > and want to make a top to go with it but the measurement for the
                chest
                > that is supposed to be a size 6 is a lot bigger than the American
                size
                > 6 so I'm not sure what to do.

                > > using a Burda pattern and its sizes seem to be quite different
                than
                > > those of the big 3 American pattern companies
                > >
                > > How about Simplicity's sizing chart instead.... complete with
                those
                > > measurements:
                > > http://www.simplicity.com/section/fittips/meas_charts/
                > > MeasCharInches.pdf
                > >
                > > -Cat-

                Syrog,
                I have been trying to "design" and "size" little "heirloom" dresses
                and rompers for wee ones.... infants to about size 4. There are
                no "standards" in clothing sizing in the US... our dear government
                threw them out back in 1982 or 83. Companies are free to call any
                thing they want a size 6. Ditto for women's and men's sizes.

                I found a really good and thorough set of measurements for children's
                bodies, Newborn to size 12, at the Fiber Gypsy. Now, these are
                raw "body" measurements used for fitting knitwear.... not clothing
                measurements. You have to add "ease" to all of them in making
                clothing pattern pieces. The chart can be found at
                http://www.fibergypsy.com/common/children.shtml

                Another good "pattern" size chart can be found at the Children's
                Corner... a company that does patterns for infants to size 12 or so.
                Don't have the url to it handy, but just google "Children's Corner
                Size Charts" and you'll get them.... one for girls and one for boys.
                It gives you an idea how big to make the neck bands, how wide to make
                the chests, how wide the sleeve bands (for short sleeves), and how
                long... shoulder to hem (dresses) or waist to crotch (pants), etc.

                I've found both charts very helpful.
                Tess
              • Siebel San
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 15, 2005
                  I was just going to post something similar...
                  We all know that, the Big 3, the sizes don't match up with
                  modern dress sizes, e.g. I wear a dress size 8-10, but a
                  pattern size 12-14. Is there a discrepency in the
                  children's sizes, and if so, what is it? Hope someone can
                  tell me :-)
                  Thanks!
                  Jessica

                  http://mail.yahoo.com