RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] Re: Jewels

  • Cat Devereaux
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
      >>We haven't yet used the heat-set jewels, as we can't get them here
      and hesitate to do a mail order and find out they don't
      work.

      Well, the new ones by Swarovski have the glue issues solved... The
      entertainment industries out in LA have taken to the Swarovski by storm and
      this includes the, ah, dancers who need to laundry their stuff all the time.

      The other brands are still having issues. Berger Beads in downtown LA are
      now carrying these kind exclusively.

      >> Besides, we tend to use a lot of very heat-sensitive fabrics,
      so not sure they would accept heat-setting.

      True that would soooooooo melt things. These heat set jewels are set by the
      same type of soldering iron with changeable tips that you can use for a hot
      knife. You just order another set of tips.... don't even new a new tool.

      But, yes... would melt nylon type fabrics. Though I've seen these used on
      silks.

      Then again... this is why we do little things like have dozens of tool, and
      a couple of dozen glues... because we always want the right thing for the
      job.... we love our toys.

      -Cat-
    • neci1952@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 3, 2005
        I've made fifty girls dance costumes with tutus. I have all the bodices cut
        and sewed together--been working all summer on them--now I'm ready to cut and
        make the bottoms pieces that goes with the tops. This thing goes off in
        January, last year I was still putting hems in almost up to curtain time, I machine
        them with a quarter inch turn up AND THEY LOOKED GREAT. But I didn't like the
        way the hems pulled down the netting under them. So my question is Were can I
        buy one of these hot knife tools that I hear everyone talking about to cut
        and set the hems in dance costumes and what is the name of the tool so that I
        can go and buy it at a reasonable price? And do ya'll think that I'm on the
        right track or is there any thing else that I can do that would made this go
        quicker and look better any feedback would be great as I'm doing this all by
        myself. THANK YOU

      • Costume Gallery
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 3, 2005
          Heat Set jewels are wonderful. I mail ordered them from Creative
          Crystal along with the heating tool. I first used them 4 years ago on
          a princess dress. I applied them to sheer lace and netting, without
          any buning. The crystals have survived multiple washing. I have also
          used them on shoes and nude netting.

          I have 2 heat tools so one is heating while I'm using the other. Many
          professionals use this product on costumes that are worn repeatedly,
          through amusement park shows. These are worth using. The price is not
          outrageous.

          Creative Crystal Co.
          6222 Tower Ln. Suite B-7
          Sarasota, FL 34240
          800-578-0716
          www.creative-cryatal.com

          On Sep 1, 2005, at 4:05 PM, Cat Devereaux wrote:

          >>> We haven't yet used the heat-set jewels, as we can't get them here
          > and hesitate to do a mail order and find out they don't
          > work.
          >
          > Well, the new ones by Swarovski have the glue issues solved... The
          > entertainment industries out in LA have taken to the Swarovski by
          > storm and
          > this includes the, ah, dancers who need to laundry their stuff all the
          > time.
          >
          > The other brands are still having issues. Berger Beads in downtown LA
          > are
          > now carrying these kind exclusively.
          >

          >>> Besides, we tend to use a lot of very heat-sensitive fabrics,
          > so not sure they would accept heat-setting.
          >
          > True that would soooooooo melt things. These heat set jewels are set
          > by the
          > same type of soldering iron with changeable tips that you can use for
          > a hot
          > knife. You just order another set of tips.... don't even new a new
          > tool.
          >
          > But, yes... would melt nylon type fabrics. Though I've seen these
          > used on
          > silks.
          >

          > Then again... this is why we do little things like have dozens of
          > tool, and
          > a couple of dozen glues... because we always want the right thing for
          > the
          > job.... we love our toys.
          >
          > -Cat-
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Cat Devereaux
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 3, 2005
            >> So my question is Were can I
            buy one of these hot knife tools that I hear everyone talking

            You may have what you need at home... If you've got a soldering iron with
            changeable tips you should just go to your local hobby store or hardware
            store.... and by tips. If you have the Bejewler kit we've just been talking
            about from creative crystal you just buy the tips.

            Just so folks know what I'm talking about I'm pulling up some images. These
            are just what google up the fastest... no recommendation implied one way or
            the other...

            Hot knife: http://www.hobbico.com/tools/hcar0770.html Note: it looks
            like... and is... an exacto knife on a soldering gun. Note beside it on the
            top picture that the little soldering tip is laying beside it. 2nd note...
            this is the bottom end of a hot knife and not what is used in FX work for
            cutting/sculpting large bits of foam... you can goggle for those tools under
            hot knife and see the difference.... but this is all you need to do the
            basics.

            http://store.artcity.com/xac-73780.html is in fact the same product by
            exacto

            OK... pictures aren't as clear here... but here's dremels kit, with tools
            for woodburning/leather decoration... and also just the hot knife tip..
            http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=dremel+hot+knife&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=ff&o
            i=froogler

            Have fun!

            -Cat-