Re: Jewels

  • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2005
      We like Jewel-It glue by Aleene's - available at most craft
      stores. It's a white-type glue, non-toxic, and water-soluble until
      dry. It won't adhere to non-porous fabrics (vinyl, coated, or some
      bridal satins). It does stiffen some, but if it's only under the
      jewel, shouldn't be too bad, as just adding jewels will stiffen
      it. It is durable to washing, but would send a sample to a cleaner
      as a test if dry cleaning. There's another white-type jewel glue
      that's OK to dry clean, but I don't remember the name. A friend
      attached a hundred or so quarter-size plastic jewels to a denim
      jacket with Jewel-it, and it's been thru many washings and none have been lost.

      We also like Fabri-tac, which is used in the bridal and millinery
      industries. It's a solvent-based glue, with it's attendant problems
      (fumes, flammable, dissolves plastics). However, it's clear,
      flexible, will stick to non-porous surfaces, and you can sew thru it
      when it's dry and it won't gum up your needle.

      We haven't yet used the heat-set jewels, as we can't get them here
      and hesitate to do a mail order and find out they don't
      work. Besides, we tend to use a lot of very heat-sensitive fabrics,
      so not sure they would accept heat-setting.

      Just 2 cents worth....

      Sandy

      At 02:29 PM 8/31/2005, you wrote:
      >Oh, and one other question, now that I think of it, about the best
      >way to attach jewels to a gown. In an ideal world, I'd sew them all
      >on, but that may not be realistic, time-wise. I must be one of the
      >few people who's never used a hot glue gun -- would that be a good
      >way to do it, or do they tend to fall off, does the fabric get stiff
      >(I know, I know, presumably not if you can handle the glue well
      >enough to get just a dot on the gem!), is there a better method...?
      >
      >Thanks!
      >KP

      "Those Who Fail To Learn History
      Are Doomed to Repeat It;
      Why They Are Simply Doomed.

      Achemdro'hm
      "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
      -- C.Y. 4971

      Andromeda
    • Cat Devereaux
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1 1:05 PM
        >>We haven't yet used the heat-set jewels, as we can't get them here
        and hesitate to do a mail order and find out they don't
        work.

        Well, the new ones by Swarovski have the glue issues solved... The
        entertainment industries out in LA have taken to the Swarovski by storm and
        this includes the, ah, dancers who need to laundry their stuff all the time.

        The other brands are still having issues. Berger Beads in downtown LA are
        now carrying these kind exclusively.

        >> Besides, we tend to use a lot of very heat-sensitive fabrics,
        so not sure they would accept heat-setting.

        True that would soooooooo melt things. These heat set jewels are set by the
        same type of soldering iron with changeable tips that you can use for a hot
        knife. You just order another set of tips.... don't even new a new tool.

        But, yes... would melt nylon type fabrics. Though I've seen these used on
        silks.

        Then again... this is why we do little things like have dozens of tool, and
        a couple of dozen glues... because we always want the right thing for the
        job.... we love our toys.

        -Cat-
      • neci1952@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 3 12:43 AM
          I've made fifty girls dance costumes with tutus. I have all the bodices cut
          and sewed together--been working all summer on them--now I'm ready to cut and
          make the bottoms pieces that goes with the tops. This thing goes off in
          January, last year I was still putting hems in almost up to curtain time, I machine
          them with a quarter inch turn up AND THEY LOOKED GREAT. But I didn't like the
          way the hems pulled down the netting under them. So my question is Were can I
          buy one of these hot knife tools that I hear everyone talking about to cut
          and set the hems in dance costumes and what is the name of the tool so that I
          can go and buy it at a reasonable price? And do ya'll think that I'm on the
          right track or is there any thing else that I can do that would made this go
          quicker and look better any feedback would be great as I'm doing this all by
          myself. THANK YOU

        • Costume Gallery
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 3 7:11 AM
            Heat Set jewels are wonderful. I mail ordered them from Creative
            Crystal along with the heating tool. I first used them 4 years ago on
            a princess dress. I applied them to sheer lace and netting, without
            any buning. The crystals have survived multiple washing. I have also
            used them on shoes and nude netting.

            I have 2 heat tools so one is heating while I'm using the other. Many
            professionals use this product on costumes that are worn repeatedly,
            through amusement park shows. These are worth using. The price is not
            outrageous.

            Creative Crystal Co.
            6222 Tower Ln. Suite B-7
            Sarasota, FL 34240
            800-578-0716
            www.creative-cryatal.com

            On Sep 1, 2005, at 4:05 PM, Cat Devereaux wrote:

            >>> We haven't yet used the heat-set jewels, as we can't get them here
            > and hesitate to do a mail order and find out they don't
            > work.
            >
            > Well, the new ones by Swarovski have the glue issues solved... The
            > entertainment industries out in LA have taken to the Swarovski by
            > storm and
            > this includes the, ah, dancers who need to laundry their stuff all the
            > time.
            >
            > The other brands are still having issues. Berger Beads in downtown LA
            > are
            > now carrying these kind exclusively.
            >

            >>> Besides, we tend to use a lot of very heat-sensitive fabrics,
            > so not sure they would accept heat-setting.
            >
            > True that would soooooooo melt things. These heat set jewels are set
            > by the
            > same type of soldering iron with changeable tips that you can use for
            > a hot
            > knife. You just order another set of tips.... don't even new a new
            > tool.
            >
            > But, yes... would melt nylon type fabrics. Though I've seen these
            > used on
            > silks.
            >

            > Then again... this is why we do little things like have dozens of
            > tool, and
            > a couple of dozen glues... because we always want the right thing for
            > the
            > job.... we love our toys.
            >
            > -Cat-
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Cat Devereaux
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 3 11:45 AM
              >> So my question is Were can I
              buy one of these hot knife tools that I hear everyone talking

              You may have what you need at home... If you've got a soldering iron with
              changeable tips you should just go to your local hobby store or hardware
              store.... and by tips. If you have the Bejewler kit we've just been talking
              about from creative crystal you just buy the tips.

              Just so folks know what I'm talking about I'm pulling up some images. These
              are just what google up the fastest... no recommendation implied one way or
              the other...

              Hot knife: http://www.hobbico.com/tools/hcar0770.html Note: it looks
              like... and is... an exacto knife on a soldering gun. Note beside it on the
              top picture that the little soldering tip is laying beside it. 2nd note...
              this is the bottom end of a hot knife and not what is used in FX work for
              cutting/sculpting large bits of foam... you can goggle for those tools under
              hot knife and see the difference.... but this is all you need to do the
              basics.

              http://store.artcity.com/xac-73780.html is in fact the same product by
              exacto

              OK... pictures aren't as clear here... but here's dremels kit, with tools
              for woodburning/leather decoration... and also just the hot knife tip..
              http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=dremel+hot+knife&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=ff&o
              i=froogler

              Have fun!

              -Cat-