Re: another question

  • rosie
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31 5:56 PM
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Cat Devereaux"
      <CatDevereaux@A...> wrote:
      > >> I built a magicians prop years ago that would fill the need here.

      Imagine that the button were a steel washer painted. when it flew off
      it would make a nice sound. now the button would slide onto a small
      shaft (a rod of wood, plastic, or metal). there is a small spring
      behind the button to eject it on command.
      holding it in place is a pin (bobby pin would do) that goes thru a hole
      drilled through the shaft(rod). when it needs to fly off, the actor
      pulls a thread (florist wire is best as it can be molded to the body
      and not flop around) The thread is attached to the pin and voilla---
      button sails off. if sound is not important, use a plastic button with
      the hole drilled thru. btw when you are done---you might be able to
      figure out how to make this mechanism produce a lovely white dove---
      love
      rosie

    • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 31 10:01 PM
        We like Jewel-It glue by Aleene's - available at most craft
        stores. It's a white-type glue, non-toxic, and water-soluble until
        dry. It won't adhere to non-porous fabrics (vinyl, coated, or some
        bridal satins). It does stiffen some, but if it's only under the
        jewel, shouldn't be too bad, as just adding jewels will stiffen
        it. It is durable to washing, but would send a sample to a cleaner
        as a test if dry cleaning. There's another white-type jewel glue
        that's OK to dry clean, but I don't remember the name. A friend
        attached a hundred or so quarter-size plastic jewels to a denim
        jacket with Jewel-it, and it's been thru many washings and none have been lost.

        We also like Fabri-tac, which is used in the bridal and millinery
        industries. It's a solvent-based glue, with it's attendant problems
        (fumes, flammable, dissolves plastics). However, it's clear,
        flexible, will stick to non-porous surfaces, and you can sew thru it
        when it's dry and it won't gum up your needle.

        We haven't yet used the heat-set jewels, as we can't get them here
        and hesitate to do a mail order and find out they don't
        work. Besides, we tend to use a lot of very heat-sensitive fabrics,
        so not sure they would accept heat-setting.

        Just 2 cents worth....

        Sandy

        At 02:29 PM 8/31/2005, you wrote:
        >Oh, and one other question, now that I think of it, about the best
        >way to attach jewels to a gown. In an ideal world, I'd sew them all
        >on, but that may not be realistic, time-wise. I must be one of the
        >few people who's never used a hot glue gun -- would that be a good
        >way to do it, or do they tend to fall off, does the fabric get stiff
        >(I know, I know, presumably not if you can handle the glue well
        >enough to get just a dot on the gem!), is there a better method...?
        >
        >Thanks!
        >KP

        "Those Who Fail To Learn History
        Are Doomed to Repeat It;
        Why They Are Simply Doomed.

        Achemdro'hm
        "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
        -- C.Y. 4971

        Andromeda
      • Cat Devereaux
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
          >>We haven't yet used the heat-set jewels, as we can't get them here
          and hesitate to do a mail order and find out they don't
          work.

          Well, the new ones by Swarovski have the glue issues solved... The
          entertainment industries out in LA have taken to the Swarovski by storm and
          this includes the, ah, dancers who need to laundry their stuff all the time.

          The other brands are still having issues. Berger Beads in downtown LA are
          now carrying these kind exclusively.

          >> Besides, we tend to use a lot of very heat-sensitive fabrics,
          so not sure they would accept heat-setting.

          True that would soooooooo melt things. These heat set jewels are set by the
          same type of soldering iron with changeable tips that you can use for a hot
          knife. You just order another set of tips.... don't even new a new tool.

          But, yes... would melt nylon type fabrics. Though I've seen these used on
          silks.

          Then again... this is why we do little things like have dozens of tool, and
          a couple of dozen glues... because we always want the right thing for the
          job.... we love our toys.

          -Cat-
        • neci1952@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 3, 2005
            I've made fifty girls dance costumes with tutus. I have all the bodices cut
            and sewed together--been working all summer on them--now I'm ready to cut and
            make the bottoms pieces that goes with the tops. This thing goes off in
            January, last year I was still putting hems in almost up to curtain time, I machine
            them with a quarter inch turn up AND THEY LOOKED GREAT. But I didn't like the
            way the hems pulled down the netting under them. So my question is Were can I
            buy one of these hot knife tools that I hear everyone talking about to cut
            and set the hems in dance costumes and what is the name of the tool so that I
            can go and buy it at a reasonable price? And do ya'll think that I'm on the
            right track or is there any thing else that I can do that would made this go
            quicker and look better any feedback would be great as I'm doing this all by
            myself. THANK YOU

          • Costume Gallery
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 3, 2005
              Heat Set jewels are wonderful. I mail ordered them from Creative
              Crystal along with the heating tool. I first used them 4 years ago on
              a princess dress. I applied them to sheer lace and netting, without
              any buning. The crystals have survived multiple washing. I have also
              used them on shoes and nude netting.

              I have 2 heat tools so one is heating while I'm using the other. Many
              professionals use this product on costumes that are worn repeatedly,
              through amusement park shows. These are worth using. The price is not
              outrageous.

              Creative Crystal Co.
              6222 Tower Ln. Suite B-7
              Sarasota, FL 34240
              800-578-0716
              www.creative-cryatal.com

              On Sep 1, 2005, at 4:05 PM, Cat Devereaux wrote:

              >>> We haven't yet used the heat-set jewels, as we can't get them here
              > and hesitate to do a mail order and find out they don't
              > work.
              >
              > Well, the new ones by Swarovski have the glue issues solved... The
              > entertainment industries out in LA have taken to the Swarovski by
              > storm and
              > this includes the, ah, dancers who need to laundry their stuff all the
              > time.
              >
              > The other brands are still having issues. Berger Beads in downtown LA
              > are
              > now carrying these kind exclusively.
              >

              >>> Besides, we tend to use a lot of very heat-sensitive fabrics,
              > so not sure they would accept heat-setting.
              >
              > True that would soooooooo melt things. These heat set jewels are set
              > by the
              > same type of soldering iron with changeable tips that you can use for
              > a hot
              > knife. You just order another set of tips.... don't even new a new
              > tool.
              >
              > But, yes... would melt nylon type fabrics. Though I've seen these
              > used on
              > silks.
              >

              > Then again... this is why we do little things like have dozens of
              > tool, and
              > a couple of dozen glues... because we always want the right thing for
              > the
              > job.... we love our toys.
              >
              > -Cat-
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Cat Devereaux
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 3, 2005
                >> So my question is Were can I
                buy one of these hot knife tools that I hear everyone talking

                You may have what you need at home... If you've got a soldering iron with
                changeable tips you should just go to your local hobby store or hardware
                store.... and by tips. If you have the Bejewler kit we've just been talking
                about from creative crystal you just buy the tips.

                Just so folks know what I'm talking about I'm pulling up some images. These
                are just what google up the fastest... no recommendation implied one way or
                the other...

                Hot knife: http://www.hobbico.com/tools/hcar0770.html Note: it looks
                like... and is... an exacto knife on a soldering gun. Note beside it on the
                top picture that the little soldering tip is laying beside it. 2nd note...
                this is the bottom end of a hot knife and not what is used in FX work for
                cutting/sculpting large bits of foam... you can goggle for those tools under
                hot knife and see the difference.... but this is all you need to do the
                basics.

                http://store.artcity.com/xac-73780.html is in fact the same product by
                exacto

                OK... pictures aren't as clear here... but here's dremels kit, with tools
                for woodburning/leather decoration... and also just the hot knife tip..
                http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=dremel+hot+knife&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=ff&o
                i=froogler

                Have fun!

                -Cat-