Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Dyeing fabric

  • Dianne Hartshorn
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2002
      Jessie,
      Thank you
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 2:39 PM
      Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Dyeing fabric

        Allo,

      My fiance's mum does a lot of natural dyeing, and she gathers all the plants and makes the dye herself.  You might try writing to her, just put 'reference from Jessica' or something like that in the subject line.  I am sure she could help you out.  Her e-mail is ddcowan@...

      Jessie

      - - - - - - - - - -

    • Dianne Hartshorn
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1, 2002
        Hi,
         I tried the link for the plant dyeing infromatin and the email was returned
        Dianne
        My fiance's mum does a lot of natural dyeing, and she gathers all the plants and makes the dye herself.  You might try writing to her, just put 'reference from Jessica' or something like that in the subject line.  I am sure she could help you out.  Her e-mail is ddcowan@...

        Jessie

        - - - - - - - - - -

      • Siebel San
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 5, 2002

          Allo all!

          Does anyone have some general tips about velvet?  Like how to keep it from creeping all over the place?  And how to keep the panne stuff from curling at the edges?

          Thanks!

          Jessie

          - - - - - - - - - -

        • celticliongarb@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 5, 2002
            Not sure what to tell ya about the panne curling LOL - I haven't worked with it very much.

            On velvet, however, the only advice is go SLOOOOWWWWLYYYY.  Shorten your stitch length by quite a bit, and go along at a snail's pace, checking constantly to make sure that all layers are still even.

            -The Celtic Lion

            www.thecelticlion.com
          • Heidi Horan
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 5, 2002
              I have found the only way to save my sanity when
              working with velvet, and also all other modes of
              creepy fabric, is to hand baste. It really only takes
              a little more time and then it can't crawl on you.
              Also, avoiding it helps. Regards, Heidi J. Horan
              --- Siebel San <siebelsan@...> wrote:

              > Allo all!
              > Does anyone have some general tips about velvet?
              > Like how to keep it from creeping all over the
              > place? And how to keep the panne stuff from curling
              > at the edges?
              > Thanks!
              > Jessie
              >

              > "I would die for you." -Kevin Costner, Robin Hood:
              > Prince of Thieves
              > - - - - - - - - - -
              > "I've noticed that famous composers in particular
              > hang on for a long time. Deaf as posts, most of
              > them, when Death comes calling. I expect some god
              > somewhere finds that very amusing. It's their kind
              > of a joke.*"
              >
              > *And course, one that misfires. Deafness doesn't
              > prevent composers from hearing the music. It
              > prevents them from hearing the distractions.
              http://greetings.yahoo.com
            • theresa b
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 6, 2002
                When I made a dress with panne (ooh panne and tricot, that was evil) I used
                parchment paper to stabilize the velvet. I basted the velvet onto the
                paper, made my stitches and then just ripped it away when i was done. of
                course I was doing some complicated machine embroidery, but I'm sure it
                still holds. I don't like to wear velevt anymore just because I'm holding a
                grudge.

                titi

                >From: celticliongarb@...
                >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Evil Stuff!
                >Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 18:05:10 EST
                >
                >Not sure what to tell ya about the panne curling LOL - I haven't worked
                >with
                >it very much.
                >
                >On velvet, however, the only advice is go SLOOOOWWWWLYYYY. Shorten your
                >stitch length by quite a bit, and go along at a snail's pace, checking
                >constantly to make sure that all layers are still even.
                >
                >-The Celtic Lion
                >
                >www.thecelticlion.com

                I'm in love with the world through the eyes of a girl

              • neimhaille
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 6, 2002
                  > When I made a dress with panne (ooh panne and tricot, that was
                  evil) I used
                  > parchment paper to stabilize the velvet. I basted the velvet onto
                  the
                  > paper, made my stitches and then just ripped it away when i was
                  done. of
                  > course I was doing some complicated machine embroidery, but I'm
                  sure it
                  > still holds. I don't like to wear velevt anymore just because I'm
                  holding a
                  > grudge.

                  lol! I just glare at the fabric for a while then give in;). Yep,
                  sounds like a good idea. I'd say try all of the methods given, and
                  throw one more in.. pin pin pin..
                  I pinned my velvet every cm and really smooshed the piles together
                  kind of but not really like velcro.

                  As for preventing the panne rolling... is this when you cut it or
                  make it up into a finished garment? I have sleeves on a bodice that
                  curl.. if I was to make it again I'd iron a bit of interfacing to the
                  edges, using the point of the iron to unroll as I went. Then hem it
                  like usual, the interfacing would only be as deep as the hemming, or
                  maybe a cm over.

                  If it's when you cut... it seems that panne really rolls when it is
                  stretched, and is quite sensitive to this. Maybe if you have your
                  pattern pieces on card, then as you pin the panne to it, be careful
                  not to stretch, and leave the panne on it until you are ready to sew.
                  This way it woun't have much change to curl into unrecognisable
                  shapes?

                  Dunno. I used panne on the body of the bodice, but it was layered
                  with a heavy knit with little give, so had no real problems with it.

                  michaela
                  http://recital.tripod.com
                • Siebel San
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 8, 2002

                    First off, thanks all for the advice :-)

                    Second, the panne curls while I am working with it, tying to pin the pieces together evenly and get the seam allowances matched.  Thats a good idea, the interfacing at the edges.  Panne usually has to be reinforced with something anyways cause it's not too heavy.  At least, usually not heavy enough for the ren/medieval scene.

                    Thanks again everyone!

                    Jessie

                    - - - - - - - - - -

                  • Siebel San
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 18, 2002

                      Hi Dianne,

                      I talked to Debbie, and she says I gave you the right address, so you may have typed it in wrong.  I'll give it to you again - maybe I made the typo ;-)  Here you are: ddcowan@...

                      Hope it works!

                      -Jessie

                      - - - - - - - - - -

                    • Dianne Hartshorn
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 19, 2002
                        Hi,
                        I tried the link again.  Thank you for replying
                        Dianne
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 20, 2002

                          Hi,
                          I tried the link again.  Thank you for replying
                          Dianne

                          Did it work this time?
                          -Jessie

                        • Dianne Hartshorn