Self-Portraits and makeup designs

  • Curtis Kidd
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2005
      > From: "Gerrie" <gerriolly@...>
      > Subject: Drawing your own face?
      >
      > Hi,
      > Had seen on the CostumersManifesto under make-up designs
      > that students
      > had done make-up from a personal drawing/themselves, does
      > anyone know
      > a quick way to draw a realistic self portrait?
      > Thanks in advance!
      > Ger

      The approach (similar to what you're describing) that I've
      seen done was to just take a simple photograph of yourself
      (or whoever the design is intended to cover), then do the
      makeup design on a sheet of tracing paper (I'd recommend
      quality vellum or something along those lines) laid over
      the photo. (I've seen it done with colored pencils,
      although I personally prefer oil pastels for makeup charts
      because you can get some good, intense colors and it's
      relatively easy to do shading and blending of colors.)

      It works, but I find it easier to follow a 'regular'
      face-chart instead (using a generic face, and adapting the
      details to the person). If you want to build a
      line-drawing of your face to use as a blank makeup chart,
      you could also do the vellum-over-photo technique to get
      all the details and proportions correct, then scan in the
      line drawing (or, if you're going old-school, paste it onto
      a layout page with your blank makeup guide and copy off a
      bunch of pages.)

      To take your question at face-value...no, I don't know a
      quick way to draw a realistic self-portrait. I was never
      very good at portraiture when I was an art student (ironic
      that I became a makeup designer, isn't it?) But I know a
      few ways to cheat...*heh*

      Curtis Kidd

      http://mail.yahoo.com