Re: belt clasps?

  • tjchatham
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 2005
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Alex"
      <scholomance@c...> wrote:
      > I'm working on an 1480's Florentine ensemble similar to the one at
      > Jen's fabulous site here:
      >
      > http://homepage.mac.com/festive_attyre/research/15thdiary/page1.html
      >
      > Anyway, for the finishing touch I'm going to need a belt for the
      > giornea. Ideally, I plan to do one in silver and one in gold.
      > However, I've no idea where to purchase the clasp necessary for
      this
      > item.
      >
      > This picture shows the belt a little more closely so you can get an
      > idea of what I'm talking about.
      >
      > http://homepage.mac.com/festive_attyre/gallery/giornea/gio1.html
      >
      > If anyone knows where I might purchase this item I'd be grateful
      for
      > the information! Thank you.
      > Regards,
      > Lucia

      Lucia,
      Every once in a while I have an occasion to either make or repair
      a "cope"..... a religious vestment that is a large "cape" with a
      heavy clasp on the front. I have compiled a list of folks who make or
      carry nice heavy clasps. Some of these can be used at the neck or on
      a belt. Maybe you can find something in one of these that would serve
      your purpose. There's a variety of styles and prices.... $4 to $60 or
      more, depending of the metal or plating and whether the clasp is hand
      made or "stamped" by machine.

      www.treasurecast.com/pages/clasps.htm
      www.twinrosesdesign.com
      www.patternsoftime.com