belt clasps?

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 7, 2005
      I'm working on an 1480's Florentine ensemble similar to the one at
      Jen's fabulous site here:

      http://homepage.mac.com/festive_attyre/research/15thdiary/page1.html

      Anyway, for the finishing touch I'm going to need a belt for the
      giornea. Ideally, I plan to do one in silver and one in gold.
      However, I've no idea where to purchase the clasp necessary for this
      item.

      This picture shows the belt a little more closely so you can get an
      idea of what I'm talking about.

      http://homepage.mac.com/festive_attyre/gallery/giornea/gio1.html

      If anyone knows where I might purchase this item I'd be grateful for
      the information! Thank you.
      Regards,
      Lucia
    • bearhedded
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 8, 2005
        Not sure if this'll work or not, but they're pretty!
        http://shop.store.yahoo.com/nakedsheep/pewdalofnorc.html
        Otherwise, couldn't you put a plain hook and eye on your belt,
        and decorate the top with jewelry parts, like your friend made her
        necklace at the bottom of that first link?

      • tjchatham
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 9, 2005
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Alex"
          <scholomance@c...> wrote:
          > I'm working on an 1480's Florentine ensemble similar to the one at
          > Jen's fabulous site here:
          >
          > http://homepage.mac.com/festive_attyre/research/15thdiary/page1.html
          >
          > Anyway, for the finishing touch I'm going to need a belt for the
          > giornea. Ideally, I plan to do one in silver and one in gold.
          > However, I've no idea where to purchase the clasp necessary for
          this
          > item.
          >
          > This picture shows the belt a little more closely so you can get an
          > idea of what I'm talking about.
          >
          > http://homepage.mac.com/festive_attyre/gallery/giornea/gio1.html
          >
          > If anyone knows where I might purchase this item I'd be grateful
          for
          > the information! Thank you.
          > Regards,
          > Lucia

          Lucia,
          Every once in a while I have an occasion to either make or repair
          a "cope"..... a religious vestment that is a large "cape" with a
          heavy clasp on the front. I have compiled a list of folks who make or
          carry nice heavy clasps. Some of these can be used at the neck or on
          a belt. Maybe you can find something in one of these that would serve
          your purpose. There's a variety of styles and prices.... $4 to $60 or
          more, depending of the metal or plating and whether the clasp is hand
          made or "stamped" by machine.

          www.treasurecast.com/pages/clasps.htm
          www.twinrosesdesign.com
          www.patternsoftime.com