Re: Brand spanking new sewing machines

  • bearhedded
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5, 2005
      I tried a Pfaff with the dual feed years ago.....when you disengage
      it, you still don't have a lot of room to work. I'd pass! (great
      buttonholer, though!)

      There is a glitzy digital Bernina at the shop I work in that
      everybody HATES, and I prefer Bernina over anything else. I have
      2 at home, a Sport 801, and a Record 930 (which I got for $45 a
      couple of weeks ago!). The Sport has been to Hell and back
      several times. I sew cardboard, leather, and switch to chiffon, I
      use it to cut out circles, it doesn't even hiccup!

      If your industrials are loud, it might be the tables, not the heads.

      By the way....if some of y'all trim your seams like you trim your
      posts, your garments must be pre-e-e-tty lumpy.....
    • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5, 2005
        Not digital - not for a shop. In our house we have a 12-yr old Janome
        digital (mine, does small embroidery, I love it!), a Husqvarna Designer 1
        (digital, hubby's, does all our serious embroidery - he loves it, I hate
        it), and an old Kenmore at least 20-25 years old non-digital (was my first
        machine). The Kenmore has its problems (the feed keeps going out) but it
        will sew thru anything, and took way more abuse than it should have. I've
        sewed upholstery fabric, leather (even rawhide shoe soles, with the right
        needle), and 12 layers of canvas with it. When you hit something hard with
        it, all that happens is the needle breaks. My digital, blinks "overload"
        and I have to turn it off and rethread it. For students and a production
        shop, think.....KISS.

        Sandy

        At 08:08 AM 8/3/2005, you wrote:
        >We are in the market for new sewing machines-- perhaps digital and I was
        >wondering about recommendations from other costumers, or people who really
        >get a lot of use out of their machines. We don't want to go industrial,
        >but are looking for some good domestic models with a history of longevity
        >and being user/student friendly. Any suggestions?

        "Those Who Fail To Learn History
        Are Doomed to Repeat It;
        Why They Are Simply Doomed.

        Achemdro'hm