Digital vs 'Normal' machines

  • Curtis Kidd
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5 11:28 AM
      > From: Pam Richey <pdr3@...>
      > Subject: Re: speaking of sewing machines....
      >
      > Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Does anyone
      > reccommend a digital or
      > electronic model? Since everyone is suggesting against
      > them, I was
      > hoping to find out why. Is it the wave of the future, or
      > a pain?

      My personal feeling on it is, the fancier the machine, the
      more agonizing it is going to be to deal with it when it
      breaks down. And it WILL break down, at some point.

      We have two machines at work. One is a Viking, it was
      their top-of-the-line non-digital machine at the time it
      was purchased. The other is a bargain-basement White we
      got from JoAnn's...less than a quarter the price. In EVERY
      significant way, the White keeps pace with the Viking.
      Yes, the Viking has more stitch options--but we rarely use
      them. We got the White SPECIFICALLY because it was simple
      and durable.

      If you are planning on doing a lot of machine embroidery, a
      digital MIGHT be worth it. But that is the only reason I'd
      bother getting one...and I definitely wouldn't bother
      getting several of them. Embroidery is a nice detail to
      know, but I'd focus more on other aspects of costume construction.

      Curtis Kidd

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs