Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Brand spanking new sewing machines

  • Crystal Denton
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2005
      I had a top of the line digital machine once.... HATED it! It was consistantly reprogramming itself when
      my elbow would bump the control panel in doing heavy costumes. And then it had this little plastic piece in
      the handlwheel that kept breaking with the least amount of stress. Cost me about $75 each time to replace
      it. Finally sold the dumb thing and got an industrial bernina. It's about 25 years old now and takes all
      the abuse I can throw at it, and going strong. My mother has worked for Bernina for years, and they consistantly get
      the computerized ones back in for repairs. Get some of the lower priced bernina's , or even some of the older models
      for costuming and you will be better off. They are also less complicated and easier for beginners to operate.

      Crystal
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5, 2005
        In a message dated 8/5/2005 5:44:14 AM Central Standard Time,
        crystal@... writes:
        Hello, I run the costume shop for Lehigh University. We are in the
        market for new sewing machines-- perhaps digital and I was wondering
        about recommendations from other costumers, or people who really get a
        lot of use out of their machines. We don't want to go industrial, but
        are looking for some good domestic models with a history of longevity
        and being user/student friendly. Any suggestions?

        Also, has any fond the new dual feed mechanisms worthwhile? One
        dealer is really pushing them.
        Personally, I'd never get a high-tech, computerized sewing machine. What you
        need is a workhorse, something that will do the basics reliably. In the 25+
        years I've been costuming, I've never had a need for any features other than
        forward, reverse, zigzag and buttonholes. I've been using the same Bernette
        for close to 20 years, which I purchased used. I get it cleaned and serviced
        once a year, and it's sewn through just about anything you can imagine. Don't
        get fooled by a bunch of fancy bells and whistles - think about what you really
        use on a day-to-day basis, and get something sturdy and reliable.

        Donna

      • bearhedded
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 5, 2005
          I tried a Pfaff with the dual feed years ago.....when you disengage
          it, you still don't have a lot of room to work. I'd pass! (great
          buttonholer, though!)

          There is a glitzy digital Bernina at the shop I work in that
          everybody HATES, and I prefer Bernina over anything else. I have
          2 at home, a Sport 801, and a Record 930 (which I got for $45 a
          couple of weeks ago!). The Sport has been to Hell and back
          several times. I sew cardboard, leather, and switch to chiffon, I
          use it to cut out circles, it doesn't even hiccup!

          If your industrials are loud, it might be the tables, not the heads.

          By the way....if some of y'all trim your seams like you trim your
          posts, your garments must be pre-e-e-tty lumpy.....
        • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 5, 2005
            Not digital - not for a shop. In our house we have a 12-yr old Janome
            digital (mine, does small embroidery, I love it!), a Husqvarna Designer 1
            (digital, hubby's, does all our serious embroidery - he loves it, I hate
            it), and an old Kenmore at least 20-25 years old non-digital (was my first
            machine). The Kenmore has its problems (the feed keeps going out) but it
            will sew thru anything, and took way more abuse than it should have. I've
            sewed upholstery fabric, leather (even rawhide shoe soles, with the right
            needle), and 12 layers of canvas with it. When you hit something hard with
            it, all that happens is the needle breaks. My digital, blinks "overload"
            and I have to turn it off and rethread it. For students and a production
            shop, think.....KISS.

            Sandy

            At 08:08 AM 8/3/2005, you wrote:
            >We are in the market for new sewing machines-- perhaps digital and I was
            >wondering about recommendations from other costumers, or people who really
            >get a lot of use out of their machines. We don't want to go industrial,
            >but are looking for some good domestic models with a history of longevity
            >and being user/student friendly. Any suggestions?

            "Those Who Fail To Learn History
            Are Doomed to Repeat It;
            Why They Are Simply Doomed.

            Achemdro'hm