RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] Corset Making

  • CostumeShopManager
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2005
      The corset patterns from Laughing Moon Mercantile are actually rather
      good. Maybe not hard core period, but good looking and fairly easy to
      put together.
      Good luck.

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2005
        Have you checked out my corsetry page?
        www.beginnercostuming.com <http://www.beginnercostuming.com>
        Aurora

        On 8/3/05, Sarah Cubbage <sarahecubbage@...> wrote:

        > So...
        >
        > I'm a graduate student designing "Intimate Apparel" by
        > Lyn Nottage this fall. It takes place in 1905 New
        > York. The play demands specific corsets and I have
        > little money or manpower.
        >
        > I'm in the process of teaching myself corset making
        > and was looking for any suggestions, books, resources,
        > great rental places. All would be appreciated.
        >
        > Currently, I'm building mockups from corsets and
        > crinolines by Norah Waugh
        >

        > --- jimmysdevoted@... wrote:
        >
        > > i too love the older machines. I have a 1916 Singer
        > > that runns but needs a
        > > tune up!!!! talk about durability.. hand embroidery
        > > is a lost art too...
        > > julie

      • Pam Richey
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
          Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Does anyone reccommend a digital or
          electronic model? Since everyone is suggesting against them, I was
          hoping to find out why. Is it the wave of the future, or a pain?

          So far, I am looking at Bernina, Pfaff and Janome. There are just too
          many equations, but I am determined to find the best machine for us!

          Pam

          jimmysdevoted@... wrote:

          > i too love the older machines. I have a 1916 Singer that runns but needs a
          > tune up!!!! talk about durability.. hand embroidery is a lost art too...
          > julie

        • Kathy Pawl
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 5, 2005
            Think of your PC or Mac and how you feel every time it goes down. Now translate that to your sewing machine. I've had times when the zig zag setting didn't work on my machine, but I could still use it to straight stitch. Not so with a digital.

            Think of your cable TV - you pay a ton of money for a billion channels - you want to pay a ton of money for a billion stitches? Do you really need all that?

            I have a Bernina 910 electric, a Huskylock 905 Serger and my Singer Featherweight. The Bernina and Singer I've had for 25 years now, and the are non threatening to people who don't know how to sew and are pretty much student proof - there is nothing they can screw up too badly. The Serger is new, I worked on a local campus for a spell and this is the only one that worked no matter what the students did to it.

            There's a reason why there are so many working sewing machine still around from the beginning of the century - they still work.

            Happy shopping!

            jimmysdevoted@... wrote:

            > i too love the older machines. I have a 1916 Singer that runns but needs a
            > tune up!!!! talk about durability.. hand embroidery is a lost art too...
            > julie

          • Crystal Denton
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 5, 2005
              Stay away from Pfaff. That company has changed hands many many times, and it is not the
              machine it once was. Bernina is the only company that is still made in the original maufacturer,
              and with the original owner. The newer Pfaffs seem to have lots of problems and are in the
              repair shop alot. The salesmen will tell you all sorts of stuff that just isn't true about the
              computerized machines. But trust me whem I say...They DON't really go through 12 layers of denim,
              at least not in a real project where it counts. Big mechanical motor with speed is what counts,
              not a bunch of frills you never use. And I have found Bernina to have the straightest stitch around.
              I have owned several models and brands in my life and always come back to Bernina's basic
              models, stable models.

              Crystal

              jimmysdevoted@... wrote:

              > i too love the older machines. I have a 1916 Singer that runns but needs a
              > tune up!!!! talk about durability.. hand embroidery is a lost art too...
              > julie

            • CostumeShopManager
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 5, 2005
                The only digital machine that I have ever heard of in a costume shop
                that was not hated by everyone was a Bernina that was dedicated strictly
                to buttonholes. There are 15 machines in our shop that are used
                regularly, all year long. Half of them are industrial, love them all.
                The others are Bernina 1008 and the like, of a variety of ages. Some
                are close to 30 years old and going strong. I continue to select them
                for their longevity AND ease of use. Yes, I am a Bernina fan. Besides,
                it's great to have many of the same machines so that the attachments are
                interchangeable.
                Good luck!

                jimmysdevoted@... wrote:

                > i too love the older machines. I have a 1916 Singer that runns but
                needs a
                > tune up!!!! talk about durability.. hand embroidery is a lost art
                too...
                > julie

                cribe>

                Yahoo! Groups Links