Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] speaking of sewing machines....

  • jimmysdevoted@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2005
      i too love the older machines. I have a 1916 Singer that runns but needs a
      tune up!!!! talk about durability.. hand embroidery is a lost art too...
      julie
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2005
        So...

        I'm a graduate student designing "Intimate Apparel" by
        Lyn Nottage this fall. It takes place in 1905 New
        York. The play demands specific corsets and I have
        little money or manpower.

        I'm in the process of teaching myself corset making
        and was looking for any suggestions, books, resources,
        great rental places. All would be appreciated.

        Currently, I'm building mockups from corsets and
        crinolines by Norah Waugh

        --- jimmysdevoted@... wrote:

        > i too love the older machines. I have a 1916 Singer
        > that runns but needs a
        > tune up!!!! talk about durability.. hand embroidery
        > is a lost art too...
        > julie

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • CostumeShopManager
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2005
          The corset patterns from Laughing Moon Mercantile are actually rather
          good. Maybe not hard core period, but good looking and fairly easy to
          put together.
          Good luck.

          --- jimmysdevoted@... wrote:

          > i too love the older machines. I have a 1916 Singer
          > that runns but needs a
          > tune up!!!! talk about durability.. hand embroidery
          > is a lost art too...
          > julie

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Aurora Celeste
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3, 2005
            Have you checked out my corsetry page?
            www.beginnercostuming.com <http://www.beginnercostuming.com>
            Aurora

            On 8/3/05, Sarah Cubbage <sarahecubbage@...> wrote:

            > So...
            >
            > I'm a graduate student designing "Intimate Apparel" by
            > Lyn Nottage this fall. It takes place in 1905 New
            > York. The play demands specific corsets and I have
            > little money or manpower.
            >
            > I'm in the process of teaching myself corset making
            > and was looking for any suggestions, books, resources,
            > great rental places. All would be appreciated.
            >
            > Currently, I'm building mockups from corsets and
            > crinolines by Norah Waugh
            >

            > --- jimmysdevoted@... wrote:
            >
            > > i too love the older machines. I have a 1916 Singer
            > > that runns but needs a
            > > tune up!!!! talk about durability.. hand embroidery
            > > is a lost art too...
            > > julie

          • Pam Richey
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4, 2005
              Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Does anyone reccommend a digital or
              electronic model? Since everyone is suggesting against them, I was
              hoping to find out why. Is it the wave of the future, or a pain?

              So far, I am looking at Bernina, Pfaff and Janome. There are just too
              many equations, but I am determined to find the best machine for us!

              Pam

              jimmysdevoted@... wrote:

              > i too love the older machines. I have a 1916 Singer that runns but needs a
              > tune up!!!! talk about durability.. hand embroidery is a lost art too...
              > julie

            • Kathy Pawl
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 5, 2005
                Think of your PC or Mac and how you feel every time it goes down. Now translate that to your sewing machine. I've had times when the zig zag setting didn't work on my machine, but I could still use it to straight stitch. Not so with a digital.

                Think of your cable TV - you pay a ton of money for a billion channels - you want to pay a ton of money for a billion stitches? Do you really need all that?

                I have a Bernina 910 electric, a Huskylock 905 Serger and my Singer Featherweight. The Bernina and Singer I've had for 25 years now, and the are non threatening to people who don't know how to sew and are pretty much student proof - there is nothing they can screw up too badly. The Serger is new, I worked on a local campus for a spell and this is the only one that worked no matter what the students did to it.

                There's a reason why there are so many working sewing machine still around from the beginning of the century - they still work.

                Happy shopping!

                jimmysdevoted@... wrote:

                > i too love the older machines. I have a 1916 Singer that runns but needs a
                > tune up!!!! talk about durability.. hand embroidery is a lost art too...
                > julie

              • Crystal Denton
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 5, 2005
                  Stay away from Pfaff. That company has changed hands many many times, and it is not the
                  machine it once was. Bernina is the only company that is still made in the original maufacturer,
                  and with the original owner. The newer Pfaffs seem to have lots of problems and are in the
                  repair shop alot. The salesmen will tell you all sorts of stuff that just isn't true about the
                  computerized machines. But trust me whem I say...They DON't really go through 12 layers of denim,
                  at least not in a real project where it counts. Big mechanical motor with speed is what counts,
                  not a bunch of frills you never use. And I have found Bernina to have the straightest stitch around.
                  I have owned several models and brands in my life and always come back to Bernina's basic
                  models, stable models.

                  Crystal

                  jimmysdevoted@... wrote:

                  > i too love the older machines. I have a 1916 Singer that runns but needs a
                  > tune up!!!! talk about durability.. hand embroidery is a lost art too...
                  > julie

                • CostumeShopManager
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 5, 2005
                    The only digital machine that I have ever heard of in a costume shop
                    that was not hated by everyone was a Bernina that was dedicated strictly
                    to buttonholes. There are 15 machines in our shop that are used
                    regularly, all year long. Half of them are industrial, love them all.
                    The others are Bernina 1008 and the like, of a variety of ages. Some
                    are close to 30 years old and going strong. I continue to select them
                    for their longevity AND ease of use. Yes, I am a Bernina fan. Besides,
                    it's great to have many of the same machines so that the attachments are
                    interchangeable.
                    Good luck!

                    jimmysdevoted@... wrote:

                    > i too love the older machines. I have a 1916 Singer that runns but
                    needs a
                    > tune up!!!! talk about durability.. hand embroidery is a lost art
                    too...
                    > julie

                    cribe>

                    Yahoo! Groups Links