Brand spanking new sewing machines

  • pdr374
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2005
      Hello, I run the costume shop for Lehigh University. We are in the
      market for new sewing machines-- perhaps digital and I was wondering
      about recommendations from other costumers, or people who really get a
      lot of use out of their machines. We don't want to go industrial, but
      are looking for some good domestic models with a history of longevity
      and being user/student friendly. Any suggestions?

      Also, has any fond the new dual feed mechanisms worthwhile? One
      dealer is really pushing them.
    • Costume Gallery
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2005
        I would not buy anything digital or computerized. I have always used
        old mechanical Kenmore or newer sport Bernina machines. They seem to
        stand up to the beatings from students. I have a Bernina
        semi-industrial or small industrial that we just love.
        Joy

        On Aug 3, 2005, at 9:08 AM, pdr374 wrote:

        > Hello, I run the costume shop for Lehigh University. We are in the
        > market for new sewing machines-- perhaps digital and I was wondering
        > about recommendations from other costumers, or people who really get a
        > lot of use out of their machines. We don't want to go industrial, but
        > are looking for some good domestic models with a history of longevity
        > and being user/student friendly. Any suggestions?
        >
        > Also, has any fond the new dual feed mechanisms worthwhile? One
        > dealer is really pushing them.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Sarah Cubbage
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2005
          Pam,

          I was going to email you today, when I saw your
          post...weird. So how are you? What's the news at
          Lehigh? I've talked to Erica recently, but wanted to
          touch base with you as well.

          Things are good here. Busy, gearing up for year two
          after a much needed summer! Working on a Fringe
          musical right now called Fleet Week (that should give
          you some idea about the subject matter!)

          I'm assuming you received my group email about corset
          making. I would love any advice from you specifically,
          since I know you've built plenty-o-corsets....

          Second year shows are low man here, so I get 10 hours
          of shop support and the rest is up to yours truly

          I've read
          Support and Seduction
          The Corset by Valerie Steel
          and The History of Underclothes by Willet and
          Cunnington

          But, I want to use this next month to really prepare,
          so I'm covering all my bases.

          Any words of wisdom, cautionary tales, anecdotes

          I don't know when I'm coming to Lehigh in the near
          future, but when I do, we should grab lunch. What's
          your number?

          And....you must call me when you are shopping in New
          York, or if you need some info on shopping here, etc.
          410-419-7075

          All my best,
          Sarah

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Crystal Denton
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 2005
            I had a top of the line digital machine once.... HATED it! It was consistantly reprogramming itself when
            my elbow would bump the control panel in doing heavy costumes. And then it had this little plastic piece in
            the handlwheel that kept breaking with the least amount of stress. Cost me about $75 each time to replace
            it. Finally sold the dumb thing and got an industrial bernina. It's about 25 years old now and takes all
            the abuse I can throw at it, and going strong. My mother has worked for Bernina for years, and they consistantly get
            the computerized ones back in for repairs. Get some of the lower priced bernina's , or even some of the older models
            for costuming and you will be better off. They are also less complicated and easier for beginners to operate.

            Crystal

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 5, 2005
              In a message dated 8/5/2005 5:44:14 AM Central Standard Time,
              crystal@... writes:
              Hello, I run the costume shop for Lehigh University. We are in the
              market for new sewing machines-- perhaps digital and I was wondering
              about recommendations from other costumers, or people who really get a
              lot of use out of their machines. We don't want to go industrial, but
              are looking for some good domestic models with a history of longevity
              and being user/student friendly. Any suggestions?

              Also, has any fond the new dual feed mechanisms worthwhile? One
              dealer is really pushing them.
              Personally, I'd never get a high-tech, computerized sewing machine. What you
              need is a workhorse, something that will do the basics reliably. In the 25+
              years I've been costuming, I've never had a need for any features other than
              forward, reverse, zigzag and buttonholes. I've been using the same Bernette
              for close to 20 years, which I purchased used. I get it cleaned and serviced
              once a year, and it's sewn through just about anything you can imagine. Don't
              get fooled by a bunch of fancy bells and whistles - think about what you really
              use on a day-to-day basis, and get something sturdy and reliable.

              Donna

            • bearhedded
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 5, 2005
                I tried a Pfaff with the dual feed years ago.....when you disengage
                it, you still don't have a lot of room to work. I'd pass! (great
                buttonholer, though!)

                There is a glitzy digital Bernina at the shop I work in that
                everybody HATES, and I prefer Bernina over anything else. I have
                2 at home, a Sport 801, and a Record 930 (which I got for $45 a
                couple of weeks ago!). The Sport has been to Hell and back
                several times. I sew cardboard, leather, and switch to chiffon, I
                use it to cut out circles, it doesn't even hiccup!

                If your industrials are loud, it might be the tables, not the heads.

                By the way....if some of y'all trim your seams like you trim your
                posts, your garments must be pre-e-e-tty lumpy.....
              • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 5, 2005
                  Not digital - not for a shop. In our house we have a 12-yr old Janome
                  digital (mine, does small embroidery, I love it!), a Husqvarna Designer 1
                  (digital, hubby's, does all our serious embroidery - he loves it, I hate
                  it), and an old Kenmore at least 20-25 years old non-digital (was my first
                  machine). The Kenmore has its problems (the feed keeps going out) but it
                  will sew thru anything, and took way more abuse than it should have. I've
                  sewed upholstery fabric, leather (even rawhide shoe soles, with the right
                  needle), and 12 layers of canvas with it. When you hit something hard with
                  it, all that happens is the needle breaks. My digital, blinks "overload"
                  and I have to turn it off and rethread it. For students and a production
                  shop, think.....KISS.

                  Sandy

                  At 08:08 AM 8/3/2005, you wrote:
                  >We are in the market for new sewing machines-- perhaps digital and I was
                  >wondering about recommendations from other costumers, or people who really
                  >get a lot of use out of their machines. We don't want to go industrial,
                  >but are looking for some good domestic models with a history of longevity
                  >and being user/student friendly. Any suggestions?

                  "Those Who Fail To Learn History
                  Are Doomed to Repeat It;
                  Why They Are Simply Doomed.

                  Achemdro'hm