Re: Tricky rouleaux

  • bearhedded
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 27, 2005
      Maybe too little, to late, but my computer has been comatose for
      a few weeks....
      When I need to make tubes of layered fabrics, I sew the strips
      together down the middle first, with a long stitch, using the
      thinnest needle I have. It keeps everything aligned. I measure
      the circumference of the cord to be covered by wrapping it with a
      scrap of fabric, or a piece of ribbon, measure that, and treat the
      process more like edge stitching than a piping project.
      Trim seam allowance now, if necessary, but DON"T PRESS!!!!
      (the basting thread may scar the project if you do that at this
      point!)
      If you don't have a fast turn, (or equivalent, and especially if
      you're making yards and yards of tubing) many hardware stores
      stock brass tubing of various diameters in 3' lengths! I drop a
      carpet-threaded needle through the brass tube to pull the project
      through it.
      After the piece is turned right-side out, I remove the original
      stabilizing thread. The needle marks may need to be coaxed out
      at this point with your thumbnail, usually they don't show!
      Have fun!
    • Joannah Hansen
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 6, 2005
        Steve,

        This is probably way too late for you, but the thought occurred to me that the problem is that you are cutting all the layers exactly the the same size. Think about it. Once folded over to sew down the side of the tube of all these exactly the same size layers, do you end up seeing different amounts of the different layers, eg most of the inner ( eventual outer ) layer, less of the middle layer, and least of the outer ( eventual inner ) layer? If so, what is happening is that when you fold them over, especially since you are turning them over piping cord, the layers of fabric on the inside are taking up more space, so that when you are trying to turn them right side out, you are trying to force larger amounts of fabric through a smaller tube.

        Try cutting your middle layer slightly narrower than the outer layer, then the innermost layer slightly narrower still than the middle layer, then fold them in half, making sure that the edges are aligned. This is going to be a bit tricky, because the now inner layers will have more fabric, making a bulge. But, once you have sewn your seam, I think it should turn more easily, because you will be pulling smaller tubes through larger ones.

        I hope this made sense, and helps.
        Good luck!

        Joannah

        <
        Hi all,

        I recently spent several hours trying to make 1/8" rouleau, for
        button
        loops,out of one layer of silk crepe covered with two layers of silk
        chiffon.
        As hard as I tried, I cold not turn this combination of fabrics
        through
        using a standard rouleaux hook. I'd manage to pull about 1" through,
        then it would bunch up and jam.
        I cut equal width bias strips, sewed with a zip foot and the fabric
        folded around piping cord to maintain the width, and did not stretch
        the strips whilst sewing...
        ...so where did I go wrong!!
        I'm so hoping someone will say "you should have done this and this,
        it's so simple!"

        steve :o)

        Costuming Elizabethan costuming

        Yahoo! Groups Links