Re: Tricky rouleaux--Digest Number 1329

  • Sheila
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2005
      This is in response to turning fabric tubes. I have the metal tubes with
      the wire turners and they are great - most of the time. But what I have
      found to work the best when I have to make those pesky narrow fabric tubes
      is the old fashion method - I recently had to make 1/8" fabric tubes out of
      layers of china silk and organza, and this is how I finally solved my
      problem. It may seem the long way around but - it worked, so if I had done
      it this way the first time I would have saved myself hours of frustration.
      It's real similar to what you did.
      1. I took 1" strips and sewed all the layers together - on both sides of the
      strips. (grain or cross grain - no bias)
      2. I folded the strip right sides together and laid a 1/8" ribbon at the
      fold - stitched all the layers together at the top.
      3. I stitched my seam down the strip - making sure not to catch the ribbon.
      (about 1/2")
      (NOTE: Usually my strip is cut to size to begin with so I just pull my
      fabric right side out through the tube as I sew - but it didn't work that
      way
      because of the layers.)
      4. I stitched the seam again - for strength, so if a stitch popped while I
      was pulling it through I didn't have an open space to deal with.
      5. At this point you should have excess ribbon hanging from the end of the
      tube.
      6. Trim the excess fabric about 1/8"at your stitching line.
      7. At the top of your tube that is closed, push the fabric towards the
      inside and gently pull on the ribbon at the other end at the same time.
      8. Once you get it going - it will pull right through.
      9. Walla! You should have a finished tube with all the layers in tact.

      My only other suggestion is to play with the stitch spacing and trimming on
      a smaller piece to make sure you get the desired size tube you want.

      (I got my turning tubes in a set at a quilt shop - but I thought Choltilda
      had them in their catalog.)

      Sheila

      Message: 4
      Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 20:57:36 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Julia Trimarco <eilonwy14@...>
      Subject: Re: Tricky rouleaux

      I usually sew the tube wider than I want it to end up finished, because 1)
      the stretching from turning and the width lost in the turn of the seam will
      make the final tube the 1/8" you intended, and 2) turning that many layers
      through would require a little bit of extra wiggle room.
      I would think that turning three layers (that's six layers of allowance)
      through 1/8" would be just about impossible.
      You can trim down the allowance down to the bare minimum to keep the seam
      together, but even then, it might prove difficult. There is a tool that
      makes turning easier than with just a hook. It has several metal tubes of
      different diameters. You fit the stitch fabric tube over the correct metal
      tube, and use the hook provided to pull the fabric through. This eases the
      friction of fabric agains fabric, as it just has to slip down the metal
      instead. Unfortunately, I can't tell you where to get one, I used someone
      else's on the the job once, and I've never been able to find one for myself.
      Does anyone know where to get one of these?
      -Julia, Jypsie Designs
      Steve <stevonewell@...> wrote:
      Hi all,

      I recently spent several hours trying to make 1/8" rouleau, for
      button
      loops,out of one layer of silk crepe covered with two layers of silk
      chiffon.
      As hard as I tried, I cold not turn this combination of fabrics
      through
      using a standard rouleaux hook. I'd manage to pull about 1" through,
      then it would bunch up and jam.
      I cut equal width bias strips, sewed with a zip foot and the fabric
      folded around piping cord to maintain the width, and did not stretch
      the strips whilst sewing...
      ...so where did I go wrong!!
      I'm so hoping someone will say "you should have done this and this,
      it's so simple!"

      steve :o)