Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Tricky rouleaux

  • Sally
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 19 9:33 PM
      .
      > I would think that turning three layers (that's six layers of
      > allowance) through 1/8" would be just about impossible.
      > You can trim down the allowance down to the bare minimum to keep
      > the seam together, but even then, it might prove difficult. There
      > is a tool that makes turning easier than with just a hook. It has
      > several metal tubes of different diameters. You fit the stitch
      > fabric tube over the correct metal tube, and use the hook provided
      > to pull the fabric through. This eases the friction of fabric
      > agains fabric, as it just has to slip down the metal instead.
      > Unfortunately, I can't tell you where to get one, I used someone
      > else's on the the job once, and I've never been able to find one
      > for myself. Does anyone know where to get one of these?

      Aha. I found the more expensive tube turner.

      http://www.joannescreativenotions.com/index.html?url=http%3A//
      www.joannescreativenotions.com/fasturn/fasturn.html

      Hope this helps.

      --Sally

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 23 5:24 PM
        Dear Julia,

        Many thanks for your thoughts. In the end I had to make up rouleaux
        without the layer of crepe - not ideal but time was getting tight!

        I'm certainly looking into the metal tube gizmo, thanks to all for
        helpful links.

        Steve.
      • bearhedded
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 27 7:09 PM
          Maybe too little, to late, but my computer has been comatose for
          a few weeks....
          When I need to make tubes of layered fabrics, I sew the strips
          together down the middle first, with a long stitch, using the
          thinnest needle I have. It keeps everything aligned. I measure
          the circumference of the cord to be covered by wrapping it with a
          scrap of fabric, or a piece of ribbon, measure that, and treat the
          process more like edge stitching than a piping project.
          Trim seam allowance now, if necessary, but DON"T PRESS!!!!
          (the basting thread may scar the project if you do that at this
          point!)
          If you don't have a fast turn, (or equivalent, and especially if
          you're making yards and yards of tubing) many hardware stores
          stock brass tubing of various diameters in 3' lengths! I drop a
          carpet-threaded needle through the brass tube to pull the project
          through it.
          After the piece is turned right-side out, I remove the original
          stabilizing thread. The needle marks may need to be coaxed out
          at this point with your thumbnail, usually they don't show!
          Have fun!
        • Joannah Hansen
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 6, 2005
            Steve,

            This is probably way too late for you, but the thought occurred to me that the problem is that you are cutting all the layers exactly the the same size. Think about it. Once folded over to sew down the side of the tube of all these exactly the same size layers, do you end up seeing different amounts of the different layers, eg most of the inner ( eventual outer ) layer, less of the middle layer, and least of the outer ( eventual inner ) layer? If so, what is happening is that when you fold them over, especially since you are turning them over piping cord, the layers of fabric on the inside are taking up more space, so that when you are trying to turn them right side out, you are trying to force larger amounts of fabric through a smaller tube.

            Try cutting your middle layer slightly narrower than the outer layer, then the innermost layer slightly narrower still than the middle layer, then fold them in half, making sure that the edges are aligned. This is going to be a bit tricky, because the now inner layers will have more fabric, making a bulge. But, once you have sewn your seam, I think it should turn more easily, because you will be pulling smaller tubes through larger ones.

            I hope this made sense, and helps.
            Good luck!

            Joannah

            <
            Hi all,

            I recently spent several hours trying to make 1/8" rouleau, for
            button
            loops,out of one layer of silk crepe covered with two layers of silk
            chiffon.
            As hard as I tried, I cold not turn this combination of fabrics
            through
            using a standard rouleaux hook. I'd manage to pull about 1" through,
            then it would bunch up and jam.
            I cut equal width bias strips, sewed with a zip foot and the fabric
            folded around piping cord to maintain the width, and did not stretch
            the strips whilst sewing...
            ...so where did I go wrong!!
            I'm so hoping someone will say "you should have done this and this,
            it's so simple!"

            steve :o)

            Costuming Elizabethan costuming

            Yahoo! Groups Links