Dyeing fabric

  • aurora80904
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 31, 2002
      We are planning an historic demonstaration in June and are looking
      for information on which plants were used to dye fabric. This will
      be for the mid to late 1800s. A friend of mine had seen a poster
      with the different plants and the colors they produced.
      Thank you
      Dianne
    • John Hosie
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 31, 2002
        Walnut husks - dark brown. (I've seen fallen walnuts on the side of the road
        as recently as last week that still could be used.)
        Joe Pye Weed berries - purple. (toxic)

        >From: "aurora80904" <kaseydog@...>
        >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Dyeing fabric
        >Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 14:56:18 -0000
        >
        >We are planning an historic demonstaration in June and are looking
        >for information on which plants were used to dye fabric. This will
        >be for the mid to late 1800s. A friend of mine had seen a poster
        >with the different plants and the colors they produced.
        >Thank you
        >Dianne

        Live a Legacy,
        Leave a Legacy,
        John W. Hosie III
        Baritone,
        King's Chorders Gospel Barbershop Quartet
        Frederick Maryland Chapter, SPEBSQSA, Inc.

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 31, 2002
          >We are planning an historic demonstaration in June
          >and are looking for information on which plants were
          >used to dye fabric. This will be for the mid to late
          >1800s. A friend of mine had seen a poster
          >with the different plants and the colors they
          >produced.

          By the late 1800s there was very little home
          manufacture and chemical dyes were mostly used. There
          was some home manufacture of fabrics in the mid 1800s
          especially in the south and west as the Civil War was
          going on and good from the factories in the north were
          not getting through. Dyes can be produced from almost
          any plant but the best colors were from a select
          group. Madder gives reds/orange, Indigo=blue,
          Cochineal=red/scarlet. You can get a nice yellow/gold
          from onion skins but a better hue comes from Fustic.
          Walnuts and other nuts give brown shades but dark
          brown is achieved by overdyeing. Green is also an
          overdye and was a specialty among professional dyers.
          For info on dyes as well as a couple of links to the
          history of dyeing go to:
          http://www.northeasthandspinners.org/links_dyeing.htm
          Remember, although it is called "natural dyeing" these
          dyes are not necessarily safe for you or your septic
          system. The mordents required to get bright colors
          are toxic. This is why many spinners/weavers use
          chemical dyes. A good source for dyestuffs is Earth
          Guild in NC

          Judy
          who at first thought this post was comming through to
          her spinning list.
        • Dianne Hartshorn
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 31, 2002
            Judy,
            Would the use of plants dyes be used more more dyeing yarn to use for
            spinning. ?
            Dianne

          • judycat@prodigy.net
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 31, 2002
              >Would the use of plants dyes be used more more dyeing
              yarn to use for
              >spinning. ?

              For the average person dyeing is more easily done at
              the early stages in production-in the wool or in the
              yarn. Once you are trying to dye a large volume of
              fabric getting it even is tricky, as anyone who has
              done this can attest. In most of the 1800s washing
              machines didn't exsit to make this easier. In the
              18th century there was a set-up with large cauldrons
              and if I remember correctly, tenting hooks to evenly
              dye the fabric. This was a job for a professional
              dyer. In the 19th century most fabric was made in the
              mills and they had a more industrial set up for dyeing.
              Fabric from the mills was very available in lots of
              colors in the 19th century.
              For the purposes of a historic demo I'd go with yarn
              for a dyeing demo as this is small and easily done.
              Then it can be used for knitting or other projects.
              How much plant dyes were used in the 19th century
              isn't something I'm all that knowlegeable about.
              There is spotty information on home manufacture in the
              19th century but most textiles came from the mills.
              Once chemical dyes were introduced they became popular
              very quickly.
              A note on berries as dyes--they are really a stain not
              a dye and will fade or oxidize. Purple is produced
              best by an overdye of red and blue in vegetable
              dyeing.
              Judy
            • Siebel San
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 31, 2002

                  Allo,

                My fiance's mum does a lot of natural dyeing, and she gathers all the plants and makes the dye herself.  You might try writing to her, just put 'reference from Jessica' or something like that in the subject line.  I am sure she could help you out.  Her e-mail is ddcowan@...

                Jessie

                - - - - - - - - - -

              • Dianne Hartshorn

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 1, 2002
                    Hi,
                     I tried the link for the plant dyeing infromatin and the email was returned
                    Dianne

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 5, 2002

                      Allo all!

                      Does anyone have some general tips about velvet?  Like how to keep it from creeping all over the place?  And how to keep the panne stuff from curling at the edges?

                      Thanks!

                      Jessie

                      - - - - - - - - - -

                    • celticliongarb@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 5, 2002
                        Not sure what to tell ya about the panne curling LOL - I haven't worked with it very much.

                        On velvet, however, the only advice is go SLOOOOWWWWLYYYY.  Shorten your stitch length by quite a bit, and go along at a snail's pace, checking constantly to make sure that all layers are still even.

                        -The Celtic Lion

                        www.thecelticlion.com
                      • Heidi Horan
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 5, 2002
                          I have found the only way to save my sanity when
                          working with velvet, and also all other modes of
                          creepy fabric, is to hand baste. It really only takes
                          a little more time and then it can't crawl on you.
                          Also, avoiding it helps. Regards, Heidi J. Horan
                          --- Siebel San <siebelsan@...> wrote:

                          > Allo all!
                          > Does anyone have some general tips about velvet?
                          > Like how to keep it from creeping all over the
                          > place? And how to keep the panne stuff from curling
                          > at the edges?
                          > Thanks!
                          > Jessie
                          >

                          > "I would die for you." -Kevin Costner, Robin Hood:
                          > Prince of Thieves
                          > - - - - - - - - - -
                          > "I've noticed that famous composers in particular
                          > hang on for a long time. Deaf as posts, most of
                          > them, when Death comes calling. I expect some god
                          > somewhere finds that very amusing. It's their kind
                          > of a joke.*"
                          >
                          > *And course, one that misfires. Deafness doesn't
                          > prevent composers from hearing the music. It
                          > prevents them from hearing the distractions.
                          http://greetings.yahoo.com
                        • theresa b
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 6, 2002
                            When I made a dress with panne (ooh panne and tricot, that was evil) I used
                            parchment paper to stabilize the velvet. I basted the velvet onto the
                            paper, made my stitches and then just ripped it away when i was done. of
                            course I was doing some complicated machine embroidery, but I'm sure it
                            still holds. I don't like to wear velevt anymore just because I'm holding a
                            grudge.

                            titi

                            >From: celticliongarb@...
                            >To: TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Evil Stuff!
                            >Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 18:05:10 EST
                            >
                            >Not sure what to tell ya about the panne curling LOL - I haven't worked
                            >with
                            >it very much.
                            >
                            >On velvet, however, the only advice is go SLOOOOWWWWLYYYY. Shorten your
                            >stitch length by quite a bit, and go along at a snail's pace, checking
                            >constantly to make sure that all layers are still even.
                            >
                            >-The Celtic Lion
                            >
                            >www.thecelticlion.com

                            I'm in love with the world through the eyes of a girl

                          • neimhaille
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 6, 2002
                              > When I made a dress with panne (ooh panne and tricot, that was
                              evil) I used
                              > parchment paper to stabilize the velvet. I basted the velvet onto
                              the
                              > paper, made my stitches and then just ripped it away when i was
                              done. of
                              > course I was doing some complicated machine embroidery, but I'm
                              sure it
                              > still holds. I don't like to wear velevt anymore just because I'm
                              holding a
                              > grudge.

                              lol! I just glare at the fabric for a while then give in;). Yep,
                              sounds like a good idea. I'd say try all of the methods given, and
                              throw one more in.. pin pin pin..
                              I pinned my velvet every cm and really smooshed the piles together
                              kind of but not really like velcro.

                              As for preventing the panne rolling... is this when you cut it or
                              make it up into a finished garment? I have sleeves on a bodice that
                              curl.. if I was to make it again I'd iron a bit of interfacing to the
                              edges, using the point of the iron to unroll as I went. Then hem it
                              like usual, the interfacing would only be as deep as the hemming, or
                              maybe a cm over.

                              If it's when you cut... it seems that panne really rolls when it is
                              stretched, and is quite sensitive to this. Maybe if you have your
                              pattern pieces on card, then as you pin the panne to it, be careful
                              not to stretch, and leave the panne on it until you are ready to sew.
                              This way it woun't have much change to curl into unrecognisable
                              shapes?

                              Dunno. I used panne on the body of the bodice, but it was layered
                              with a heavy knit with little give, so had no real problems with it.

                              michaela
                              http://recital.tripod.com
                            • Siebel San
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 8, 2002

                                First off, thanks all for the advice :-)

                                Second, the panne curls while I am working with it, tying to pin the pieces together evenly and get the seam allowances matched.  Thats a good idea, the interfacing at the edges.  Panne usually has to be reinforced with something anyways cause it's not too heavy.  At least, usually not heavy enough for the ren/medieval scene.

                                Thanks again everyone!

                                Jessie

                                - - - - - - - - - -

                              • Siebel San
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 18, 2002

                                  Hi Dianne,

                                  I talked to Debbie, and she says I gave you the right address, so you may have typed it in wrong.  I'll give it to you again - maybe I made the typo ;-)  Here you are: ddcowan@...

                                  Hope it works!

                                  -Jessie

                                  - - - - - - - - - -

                                • Dianne Hartshorn
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 19, 2002
                                    Hi,
                                    I tried the link again.  Thank you for replying
                                    Dianne
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 20, 2002

                                      Hi,
                                      I tried the link again.  Thank you for replying
                                      Dianne

                                      Did it work this time?
                                      -Jessie

                                    • Dianne Hartshorn