Wedding dress help

  • ~lisa.s
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 11, 2005
      A colleague has had one of those "wedding dress from hell" episodes and
      I've agreed to bail her out. Can any one offer guidance as to how to rig
      bustling the train?

      Thanks.

      ~lisa.s
      --
      * llsturts@...
    • tjchatham
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 14, 2005
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "~lisa.s"
        <llsturts@g...> wrote:
        > A colleague has had one of those "wedding dress from hell" episodes
        and
        > I've agreed to bail her out. Can any one offer guidance as to how
        to rig
        > bustling the train?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > ~lisa.s
        > --
        > * llsturts@g...

        Oh, Lisa... I think I can help you out here. Just finished "bustling"
        my own daughter's very full wedding dress just a year ago. The best
        on-line "instructions" we found were here:
        http://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/html/esb_weddinggowntips.html

        But I also had a copy of Singer's book Sewing for Special Occasions
        (it has detailed instructions for all the little details in making a
        bridal gown, including 2 types of bustling). You can find it at any
        fabric shop or online at Amazon, etc.

        It really all depends on how BIG and full and HEAVY the back of the
        dress is... (ours had several panels... a princess design with a 3'
        train) and how you want it to look afterwards.... bundled inside or
        out and over. We had 5 ties to grab up and tie together up high on
        the underside putting the bustle on the outside, but I found
        that "practice" makes perfect. I had to remove and reposition a
        couple of the ties to get the look we were after and to get the whole
        hem off the floor for dancing. It took two of us.... one to hold the
        dress up and one to grab the ties and tie them together. Do make sure
        the ties are securely attached and properly positioned. The loop or
        tie on the center back seam that all the other ties are tied to needs
        to be the highest possible (probably just under the last button or
        end of the zipper) and the other ties on the center and other seams
        positioned lower each time. Ours had one tie positioned about midway
        on the back seam and ties on two other seam lines on both sides of
        the center seam. Putting ties at the seam lines was best for us
        because of the added strength of a stitched and finished seam, but
        you may have to use a different approach, maybe re-enforcing the non-
        seam spots with a bit of twill tape or spot of interfacing on the
        underside so the fabric will support the weight and tension of the
        tie. Do re-enforce the outside of the gown at that point, too....
        usually with a pearl or other smooth clear glass bead (no sharp edges
        to cut the thread, though....carefull!!).
        Some folks do the loop and hook or button method on top of the gown
        (the "bustle" folds inside). That works too, but I think it works
        better for "lighter" weight fabrics. Ours was a very heavily beaded
        lace over a heavy satin gown that was fully lined.... several layers
        of fabric that had to be anchored together for the bustling (with a
        3mm pearl bead on STRONG buttonhole twist thread through all layers
        and tightly into the ribbon underneath).
        It isn't going to look too bad... one way or the other and it's
        better than dragging the poor thing across a dirty floor. Some less
        full gowns even allow for a loop of ribbon stitched into the back
        seam and looped over the bride's wrist during the reception. That
        wouldn't have worked for us.... gown much too full and heavy, so the
        several ties and "underbustling" were our best choice.
        Best of luck on the bustling!
        Tess
      • tuesday coren

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 14, 2005
            This page has some great bustling info and links, too:
            http://www.leanna.com/Bridal/Bustles.htm
            I've also successfully combined overbustling and french bustling for a
            nifty Victorian look on a wedding gown.
            Good luck and hope this helps!
            Rebecca

            On 7/11/05, ~lisa.s <llsturts@...> wrote:

            > A colleague has had one of those "wedding dress from hell" episodes and
            > I've agreed to bail her out. Can any one offer guidance as to how to rig
            > bustling the train?
            >
            > Thanks.
            >
            > ~lisa.s
            > --
            > * llsturts@...

          • tjchatham
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 15, 2005
              <llsturts@g...> wrote:
              > A colleague has had one of those "wedding dress from hell" episodes
              and
              > I've agreed to bail her out. Can any one offer guidance as to how
              to rig
              > bustling the train?
              >
              > Thanks.
              >
              > ~lisa.s
              > --
              > * llsturts@g...

              Lisa,
              I replied to your question yesterday, but I don't know what happened
              to my post....maybe my answer was too long, so I'll try to send it
              again... in a shorter format. My daughter and I had to learn how to
              bustle up her very full and heavily beaded wedding dress with a 3
              foot train so she could dance at her reception. The best on-line
              instructions on bustling a wedding gown that we found were here:

              http://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/html/esb_weddinggowntips.html

              But I also had a copy of Singer's book Sewing for Special Occasions
              (it has detailed instructions for all the little details in making a
              bridal gown, including 2 types of bustling). It was VERY helpful...
              lots of pics. You can find it at any fabric store or on-line at
              Amazon, etc.

              We had to do the bustle on the outside of the dress, since it was
              such a full and heavy one, so the thing was tied up on the inside
              with several ribbons. The dress was a princess style....
              several "gores" front and back. There was a loop high up on the back
              seam inside (underneath) just below the end of all the buttons.
              That's what we had to tie all the other ribbons to. There was a
              ribbon on the center back seam about half way down and ribbons on 4
              other seams in back .... 2 each side, fanning out from center both
              ways each farther down a bit. The ribbons were securely fastened into
              the seam of the lining, satin and lace all held together with
              buttonhole twist thread and a pearl bead was on the outside for
              further "support" and so the fabric and lace wouldn't tear with all
              the stress placed on those points. I did have to reposition 2 of the
              ties a bit further down on 2 of the seams to pull the bustle up a bit
              higher to keep it off the floor. It took a bit of practice and two
              people... one to hold the back of the skirt up and one to tie the
              ribbons together into the top loop, but we finally got the dress and
              train up off the floor to keep it somewhat clean.
              If your dress isn't too full or too heavy, loops and hooks or buttons
              on the outside of the dress is another way to go...but the "bustle"
              goes "inside" (ours flipped out and over on the "outside" of the
              skirt). I've also seen just a single loop of ribbon near the bottom
              (lining) of the train that was looped over the bride's wrist during
              the reception, but this would only work for very light weight and not
              very full trains.
              Well, hope this helps... and hope it gets posted this time.
              Tess
            • CostumeShopManager
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 15, 2005
                Find out how the professionals do it. Simply go to a bridal shop and
                look at dresses. There are several ways to do it depending on the
                length of the train and fabric of the gown. It is not really the
                engineering feat that many believe.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 15, 2005
                  I must have missed Lisa's email about the bustle.
                  I do bridal alterations, and bustling is one of those things I do best.
                  You might be able to get information at the bridal shop, but generally their expertise is in selling the dress, then referring the bride to the alterations person. Many shops do not have in house seamstresses.
                  If you have any questions about the bustle, I will be more that happy to help. There are just so many ways to bustle, and a lot depends on the shape of the train, the fabric used, and the style of the dress.
                  and you are so correct. It is not and engineering feat...it is really quite simple once you look at the whole picture.
                  sheila

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 16, 2005
                    Thanks to all for offering their help and expertise. I just now finished
                    the work, and must say it came out quite well--and I don't think it'll
                    take a structural engineer to bustle her up after the ceremony, as opposed
                    to what it took to get my sister-in-law's dress up. This is why I expected
                    it to be a bigger job than it turned out to be.

                    Again, thanks. This group is a great resource!

                    lisa.s