sailors

  • Elli Gull
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2002
      I was wondering if anyone knew of any historical clothing books or other
      source material that deal with the period 1690 - 1730 and which have
      information about common people's dress, especially sailors. I have a
      pretty good idea, but I haven't really seen any actual source material so I
      would be interested.
      Thanks
      Elli
    • Julia Logan Trimarco
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2002
        I'm at my local library now, and am looking at:

        The Common Man through the Centuries, A Book of Costume Drawings,
        by Max Barsis
        Frederick Ungar Publishing Co. New York 1974

        I don't know if it is still in print. It is full of drawings by the author,
        taken mostly from original art sources. A good useful book, but I prefer to
        use it as an encyclopedia, ie., not rely on it solely, but to use it as
        starting point, then go on to look at art books of the old masters.

        Julia