RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] Recommendations for iron?

  • CostumeShopManager
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2005
      I have had a Rowenta ($99) for about 7 years now at home. Still love
      it. I do use it up to 8 hours a day some times in the year. The auto
      shut off is my only complaint, but just because I don't like to wait. I
      do like the fact that it weighs much more than most other home models,
      less work to set pleats and such. The water you use can help to extend
      the life of an iron. Distilled is best, but any filtered will be better
      than tap.
      Good luck.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 9, 2005
        Pierre & Sandy Pettinger wrote:

        > We like Rowentas. They have given us good service, though we have
        > killed 3
        > so far - but two of them were by dropping them point-first on a concrete
        > floor (not intentionally, really!! <g>). The other one lasted for
        > about 5
        > years, then finally got so it would turn off randomly (not the
        > auto-shut-off) and then not restart for a while. The workhorse we had
        > before the Rowentas was a Black and Decker, but I believe their
        > quality now
        > is not as good as it was then. HTH.
        >
        > Sandy
        >
        > At 11:52 PM 7/5/2005, you wrote:
        > >I've been wanting to get a high quality iron for a while. The local
        > >Jo-Ann's had an unadvertised sale on irons so I rather impulsively
        > picked
        > >up a Rowenta PowerGlide 2 (for about $50). Hitting epinions.com I see
        > >that some folks have serious complaints about Rowenta's service. I know
        > >that there are a lot of really experienced folks on this list and if
        > >anyone would know about irons, it'd be you. I may just return this iron
        > >to Jo-Ann's.
        > >
        > >Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality iron under $75 that
        > >will last for years?
        > >
        > >Spidra Webster
        > ><http://www.spidra.com>http://www.spidra.com

        > Hello

        I have a Rowenta Iron that I have been using for 8 or 9 years. It was
        even a rebuilt one that I purchased in an outlet store. I also have the
        Rowenta Steam generator iron and really like it as well. My regular
        iron gets turned on and used almost daily and I have not had any
        problems with it. (I had better knock on wood hadn't I?) I have
        killed a Sunbeam and a Black and Decker during this time as well. I
        didn't drop them but my kitties knocked them off the ironing board a
        few time. The Rowenta is heavy enough that they haven't been able to
        knock it down.

        Rici Tegarden
      • Julia Trimarco
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 13, 2005
          > We like Rowentas.

          Ditto. Short of an industrial, Rowenta's are the best I have worked with in every costume and tailoring shop where I've worked.