Recommendations for iron?

  • Spidra Webster
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2005
      I've been wanting to get a high quality iron for a while. The local
      Jo-Ann's had an unadvertised sale on irons so I rather impulsively
      picked up a Rowenta PowerGlide 2 (for about $50). Hitting epinions.com
      I see that some folks have serious complaints about Rowenta's service.
      I know that there are a lot of really experienced folks on this list
      and if anyone would know about irons, it'd be you. I may just return
      this iron to Jo-Ann's.

      Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality iron under $75 that
      will last for years?

      Spidra Webster
      http://www.spidra.com
    • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2005
        We like Rowentas. They have given us good service, though we have killed 3
        so far - but two of them were by dropping them point-first on a concrete
        floor (not intentionally, really!! <g>). The other one lasted for about 5
        years, then finally got so it would turn off randomly (not the
        auto-shut-off) and then not restart for a while. The workhorse we had
        before the Rowentas was a Black and Decker, but I believe their quality now
        is not as good as it was then. HTH.

        Sandy

        At 11:52 PM 7/5/2005, you wrote:
        >I've been wanting to get a high quality iron for a while. The local
        >Jo-Ann's had an unadvertised sale on irons so I rather impulsively picked
        >up a Rowenta PowerGlide 2 (for about $50). Hitting epinions.com I see
        >that some folks have serious complaints about Rowenta's service. I know
        >that there are a lot of really experienced folks on this list and if
        >anyone would know about irons, it'd be you. I may just return this iron
        >to Jo-Ann's.
        >
        >Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality iron under $75 that
        >will last for years?
        >
        >Spidra Webster
        ><http://www.spidra.com>http://www.spidra.com

        "Those Who Fail To Learn History
        Are Doomed to Repeat It;
        Why They Are Simply Doomed.

        Achemdro'hm
        "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
        -- C.Y. 4971

        Andromeda
      • CostumeShopManager
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 7, 2005
          I have had a Rowenta ($99) for about 7 years now at home. Still love
          it. I do use it up to 8 hours a day some times in the year. The auto
          shut off is my only complaint, but just because I don't like to wait. I
          do like the fact that it weighs much more than most other home models,
          less work to set pleats and such. The water you use can help to extend
          the life of an iron. Distilled is best, but any filtered will be better
          than tap.
          Good luck.

          At 11:52 PM 7/5/2005, you wrote:
          >I've been wanting to get a high quality iron for a while. The local
          >Jo-Ann's had an unadvertised sale on irons so I rather impulsively
          picked
          >up a Rowenta PowerGlide 2 (for about $50). Hitting epinions.com I see
          >that some folks have serious complaints about Rowenta's service. I
          know
          >that there are a lot of really experienced folks on this list and if
          >anyone would know about irons, it'd be you. I may just return this
          iron
          >to Jo-Ann's.
          >
          >Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality iron under $75 that
          >will last for years?
          >
          >Spidra Webster
          ><http://www.spidra.com>http://www.spidra.com

          "Those Who Fail To Learn History
          Are Doomed to Repeat It;
          Why They Are Simply Doomed.

          Achemdro'hm
          "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
          -- C.Y. 4971

          Andromeda

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Rici Tegarden
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 9, 2005
            Pierre & Sandy Pettinger wrote:

            > We like Rowentas. They have given us good service, though we have
            > killed 3
            > so far - but two of them were by dropping them point-first on a concrete
            > floor (not intentionally, really!! <g>). The other one lasted for
            > about 5
            > years, then finally got so it would turn off randomly (not the
            > auto-shut-off) and then not restart for a while. The workhorse we had
            > before the Rowentas was a Black and Decker, but I believe their
            > quality now
            > is not as good as it was then. HTH.
            >
            > Sandy
            >
            > At 11:52 PM 7/5/2005, you wrote:
            > >I've been wanting to get a high quality iron for a while. The local
            > >Jo-Ann's had an unadvertised sale on irons so I rather impulsively
            > picked
            > >up a Rowenta PowerGlide 2 (for about $50). Hitting epinions.com I see
            > >that some folks have serious complaints about Rowenta's service. I know
            > >that there are a lot of really experienced folks on this list and if
            > >anyone would know about irons, it'd be you. I may just return this iron
            > >to Jo-Ann's.
            > >
            > >Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality iron under $75 that
            > >will last for years?
            > >
            > >Spidra Webster
            > ><http://www.spidra.com>http://www.spidra.com

            > Hello

            I have a Rowenta Iron that I have been using for 8 or 9 years. It was
            even a rebuilt one that I purchased in an outlet store. I also have the
            Rowenta Steam generator iron and really like it as well. My regular
            iron gets turned on and used almost daily and I have not had any
            problems with it. (I had better knock on wood hadn't I?) I have
            killed a Sunbeam and a Black and Decker during this time as well. I
            didn't drop them but my kitties knocked them off the ironing board a
            few time. The Rowenta is heavy enough that they haven't been able to
            knock it down.

            Rici Tegarden
          • Julia Trimarco
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 13, 2005
              > We like Rowentas.

              Ditto. Short of an industrial, Rowenta's are the best I have worked with in every costume and tailoring shop where I've worked.