Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Costume from Brotherhood of the Wolf

  • Judith Cataldo
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2005
      > OK, so there is a neat fighting scene in the movie whereis the two
      > principal characters are wearing these 18th century riding coat. I'd
      > like to, of course, duplicate such an outfit as closely as possible.

      This looks like a Greatcoat, an outer garment worn at the end of the 18th
      century. From the Colonial Williamsburg website: "Many men of the 18th
      century chose great coats as their protective outer garment in foul weather.
      Most often made of heavy fulled woolens, it served well to keep one warm and
      dry. Some men are known to have had accompanying waistcoats and leggings
      made in the same heavy wools. The great coat generally had a collar, a cape
      over the shoulders, deep cuffs, and was worn to knee length or longer.
      Occasionally, great coats were made in alternative fabrics of lighter
      weights, particularly oiled silk and linen."
      There are a couple of patterns out there including one in the book Fitting
      and Proper by Sharon Ann Burnston.

      Judy
    • Bjarne og Leif Drews
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2005
        Hi Andrew,
        I have that dvd so i know a little about the coats you are looking for.
        First i think the material is leather, second i think they have painted it to look dirty.
        But it would be a greatcoat wich is an outer garment.
        A greatcoat was designed big so that you could have your long jackets inside it. For winters use.
        In Waughs the cut of mens clothes, there are pattern for this coat.

        Bjarne