Costume from Brotherhood of the Wolf

  • crazydudeiii
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2005
      Hello folks. So I was just searching around looking for some help /
      info on a costume I saw used in the movie 'Brotherhood of the Wolf',
      also known by the french title 'Le Pacte des Loups' .
      So I was hoping that maybe some of you folks out there might be able
      to give me a little help or advice!

      OK, so there is a neat fighting scene in the movie whereis the two
      principal characters are wearing these 18th century riding coat. I'd
      like to, of course, duplicate such an outfit as closely as possible.
      Here's a link or a few various pictures.... none of them are that
      great, I'll try and track down the DVD and capture one of the frames.
      http://kcine.free.fr/affiches/pactedesloups.jpg
      http://amilo.perso.wanadoo.fr/lozere/cinema/6.jpg
      http://www.bhdani.com/arhiva/212/o3.jpg

      The elements that I really like are the earthy color and look (is it
      leather or rawhide or something? or some sort of oiled cloth?), the
      split at the back construction, etc; I guess there are some sort of
      straps inside so the coat moves w/ the legs?

      Any ideas? Know of anything off the shelf? I don't know anything
      about this kind of stuff... I just want a neat costume!
      Anything you can tell me would probably be very helpful and would be
      greatly appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Andrew
    • Judith Cataldo
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2005
        > OK, so there is a neat fighting scene in the movie whereis the two
        > principal characters are wearing these 18th century riding coat. I'd
        > like to, of course, duplicate such an outfit as closely as possible.

        This looks like a Greatcoat, an outer garment worn at the end of the 18th
        century. From the Colonial Williamsburg website: "Many men of the 18th
        century chose great coats as their protective outer garment in foul weather.
        Most often made of heavy fulled woolens, it served well to keep one warm and
        dry. Some men are known to have had accompanying waistcoats and leggings
        made in the same heavy wools. The great coat generally had a collar, a cape
        over the shoulders, deep cuffs, and was worn to knee length or longer.
        Occasionally, great coats were made in alternative fabrics of lighter
        weights, particularly oiled silk and linen."
        There are a couple of patterns out there including one in the book Fitting
        and Proper by Sharon Ann Burnston.

        Judy
      • Bjarne og Leif Drews
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2005
          Hi Andrew,
          I have that dvd so i know a little about the coats you are looking for.
          First i think the material is leather, second i think they have painted it to look dirty.
          But it would be a greatcoat wich is an outer garment.
          A greatcoat was designed big so that you could have your long jackets inside it. For winters use.
          In Waughs the cut of mens clothes, there are pattern for this coat.

          Bjarne