Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Alginate & Keeping Facial Hair

  • Paul Watson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
      Hi.

      Well I have had many castings of my face both with and
      without a beard using alginate (I have a friend who is
      a glass artist and he "likes the shape of my face").
      The best advice I can give is use some water soluble
      personal lubricant such as KY Jelly, petroleum jelly
      does run the risk of damaging the alginate mould as
      well as the positive copy. Aside from that I would
      suggest smoothing a layer of KY over your
      beard/mustache, not so much lather it in as you will
      end up with a very odd look. That being said, you
      should use KY or whatever lubricant you like on all
      hair (including eyebrows and eyelashes) and glasses.
      Speaking of glasses, if you wear glasses, take the
      time to pack some newsprint around them if you plan on
      still wearing them after (the alginate will envelop
      then and you could both ruin the mould and your
      glasses

      That being said, I hope the results turn out great, I
      actually cast copies of my wifes face and our oldest
      son in alginate (Alginate negatives AND Positives), it
      is pretty cool, Alginate shrinks uniformly and slowly
      and in 3 weeks we had 1/4 size copies of our faces,
      when our two other kids get old enough, we plan on
      copying them as well.

      Have a great time!

      Paul

      If you are Rootless with no network or extended family
      You can pickup and go , you will be the same anywhere
      Essentially you are choosing climate or cuisine.

      Unless you are that kind of Byronic Hero,
      we all exist within a web of connections

      Margaret Atwood