RE: [TheCostumersManifesto] Alginate & Keeping Facial Hair

  • CostumeShopManager
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
      The idea of a sculptor is a good one, but another option for masking the
      beard is soaping or waxing like you do for a bald pate or eyebrow
      alterations. The Vaseline is still necessary. I have had moderate
      success with this, but the quality still leaves some to be desired to
      use the mold for properly fit prosthetics.
      Good luck!

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
        Hi.

        Well I have had many castings of my face both with and
        without a beard using alginate (I have a friend who is
        a glass artist and he "likes the shape of my face").
        The best advice I can give is use some water soluble
        personal lubricant such as KY Jelly, petroleum jelly
        does run the risk of damaging the alginate mould as
        well as the positive copy. Aside from that I would
        suggest smoothing a layer of KY over your
        beard/mustache, not so much lather it in as you will
        end up with a very odd look. That being said, you
        should use KY or whatever lubricant you like on all
        hair (including eyebrows and eyelashes) and glasses.
        Speaking of glasses, if you wear glasses, take the
        time to pack some newsprint around them if you plan on
        still wearing them after (the alginate will envelop
        then and you could both ruin the mould and your
        glasses

        That being said, I hope the results turn out great, I
        actually cast copies of my wifes face and our oldest
        son in alginate (Alginate negatives AND Positives), it
        is pretty cool, Alginate shrinks uniformly and slowly
        and in 3 weeks we had 1/4 size copies of our faces,
        when our two other kids get old enough, we plan on
        copying them as well.

        Have a great time!

        Paul

        If you are Rootless with no network or extended family
        You can pickup and go , you will be the same anywhere
        Essentially you are choosing climate or cuisine.

        Unless you are that kind of Byronic Hero,
        we all exist within a web of connections

        Margaret Atwood