Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Alginate & Keeping Facial Hair

  • Maggie Baker
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
      Yes, you are going to have to cover your beard with
      jelly in order to make it work. And, unfortunately,
      you are going to have to REALLY lay it on. I would use
      a comb to get it all through and make sure you have a
      nice film on the outside of your beard. Last time I
      did a mask, I had to put jelly on the four inches
      behind my hairline. It was gross, but I found that I
      could get it all washed out with dishsoap rather than
      shampoo. Happy mask making!!!

      P.S. Make sure you have some jelly on your eyelashes
      too.

      --- frazierlawfirm <jwf46@...> wrote:

      > My son and I are making life masks beginning with
      > petroleum jelly on
      > his (and my) eyebrows followed by a layer of
      > Alginate, followed by
      > strips of plaster cloth. My son's life mask ought to
      > be easy because
      > he doesn't have any facial hair. I, on the other
      > hand, have a full
      > beard.
      >
      > Is there any way of creating a life mask that will
      > be pretty accurate
      > without removing my beard and moustache? I expect
      > I'll have to lather
      > my face with petroleum jelly. Am I correct?
      >
      > I'd be grateful for any hints.

      __________________________________
      Discover Yahoo!
    • CostumeShopManager
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
        The idea of a sculptor is a good one, but another option for masking the
        beard is soaping or waxing like you do for a bald pate or eyebrow
        alterations. The Vaseline is still necessary. I have had moderate
        success with this, but the quality still leaves some to be desired to
        use the mold for properly fit prosthetics.
        Good luck!

        My son and I are making life masks beginning with petroleum jelly on
        his (and my) eyebrows followed by a layer of Alginate, followed by
        strips of plaster cloth. My son's life mask ought to be easy because
        he doesn't have any facial hair. I, on the other hand, have a full
        beard.

        Is there any way of creating a life mask that will be pretty accurate
        without removing my beard and moustache? I expect I'll have to lather
        my face with petroleum jelly. Am I correct?

        I'd be grateful for any hints.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Paul Watson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
          Hi.

          Well I have had many castings of my face both with and
          without a beard using alginate (I have a friend who is
          a glass artist and he "likes the shape of my face").
          The best advice I can give is use some water soluble
          personal lubricant such as KY Jelly, petroleum jelly
          does run the risk of damaging the alginate mould as
          well as the positive copy. Aside from that I would
          suggest smoothing a layer of KY over your
          beard/mustache, not so much lather it in as you will
          end up with a very odd look. That being said, you
          should use KY or whatever lubricant you like on all
          hair (including eyebrows and eyelashes) and glasses.
          Speaking of glasses, if you wear glasses, take the
          time to pack some newsprint around them if you plan on
          still wearing them after (the alginate will envelop
          then and you could both ruin the mould and your
          glasses

          That being said, I hope the results turn out great, I
          actually cast copies of my wifes face and our oldest
          son in alginate (Alginate negatives AND Positives), it
          is pretty cool, Alginate shrinks uniformly and slowly
          and in 3 weeks we had 1/4 size copies of our faces,
          when our two other kids get old enough, we plan on
          copying them as well.

          Have a great time!

          Paul

          If you are Rootless with no network or extended family
          You can pickup and go , you will be the same anywhere
          Essentially you are choosing climate or cuisine.

          Unless you are that kind of Byronic Hero,
          we all exist within a web of connections

          Margaret Atwood