Alginate & Keeping Facial Hair

  • frazierlawfirm
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
      My son and I are making life masks beginning with petroleum jelly on
      his (and my) eyebrows followed by a layer of Alginate, followed by
      strips of plaster cloth. My son's life mask ought to be easy because
      he doesn't have any facial hair. I, on the other hand, have a full
      beard.

      Is there any way of creating a life mask that will be pretty accurate
      without removing my beard and moustache? I expect I'll have to lather
      my face with petroleum jelly. Am I correct?

      I'd be grateful for any hints.
    • Maggie Baker
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
        Yes, you are going to have to cover your beard with
        jelly in order to make it work. And, unfortunately,
        you are going to have to REALLY lay it on. I would use
        a comb to get it all through and make sure you have a
        nice film on the outside of your beard. Last time I
        did a mask, I had to put jelly on the four inches
        behind my hairline. It was gross, but I found that I
        could get it all washed out with dishsoap rather than
        shampoo. Happy mask making!!!

        P.S. Make sure you have some jelly on your eyelashes
        too.

        --- frazierlawfirm <jwf46@...> wrote:

        > My son and I are making life masks beginning with
        > petroleum jelly on
        > his (and my) eyebrows followed by a layer of
        > Alginate, followed by
        > strips of plaster cloth. My son's life mask ought to
        > be easy because
        > he doesn't have any facial hair. I, on the other
        > hand, have a full
        > beard.
        >
        > Is there any way of creating a life mask that will
        > be pretty accurate
        > without removing my beard and moustache? I expect
        > I'll have to lather
        > my face with petroleum jelly. Am I correct?
        >
        > I'd be grateful for any hints.

        __________________________________
        Discover Yahoo!
      • CostumeShopManager
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
          The idea of a sculptor is a good one, but another option for masking the
          beard is soaping or waxing like you do for a bald pate or eyebrow
          alterations. The Vaseline is still necessary. I have had moderate
          success with this, but the quality still leaves some to be desired to
          use the mold for properly fit prosthetics.
          Good luck!

          My son and I are making life masks beginning with petroleum jelly on
          his (and my) eyebrows followed by a layer of Alginate, followed by
          strips of plaster cloth. My son's life mask ought to be easy because
          he doesn't have any facial hair. I, on the other hand, have a full
          beard.

          Is there any way of creating a life mask that will be pretty accurate
          without removing my beard and moustache? I expect I'll have to lather
          my face with petroleum jelly. Am I correct?

          I'd be grateful for any hints.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Paul Watson
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
            Hi.

            Well I have had many castings of my face both with and
            without a beard using alginate (I have a friend who is
            a glass artist and he "likes the shape of my face").
            The best advice I can give is use some water soluble
            personal lubricant such as KY Jelly, petroleum jelly
            does run the risk of damaging the alginate mould as
            well as the positive copy. Aside from that I would
            suggest smoothing a layer of KY over your
            beard/mustache, not so much lather it in as you will
            end up with a very odd look. That being said, you
            should use KY or whatever lubricant you like on all
            hair (including eyebrows and eyelashes) and glasses.
            Speaking of glasses, if you wear glasses, take the
            time to pack some newsprint around them if you plan on
            still wearing them after (the alginate will envelop
            then and you could both ruin the mould and your
            glasses

            That being said, I hope the results turn out great, I
            actually cast copies of my wifes face and our oldest
            son in alginate (Alginate negatives AND Positives), it
            is pretty cool, Alginate shrinks uniformly and slowly
            and in 3 weeks we had 1/4 size copies of our faces,
            when our two other kids get old enough, we plan on
            copying them as well.

            Have a great time!

            Paul

            If you are Rootless with no network or extended family
            You can pickup and go , you will be the same anywhere
            Essentially you are choosing climate or cuisine.

            Unless you are that kind of Byronic Hero,
            we all exist within a web of connections

            Margaret Atwood