Hat dilemma

  • Sylvia Rognstad
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1 8:10 AM
      I have a real dilemma on my hands, I'm hoping someone has a solution
      for. I'm designing a play that takes place about 1905. The woman in
      question has the big Gibson style hairdo, or at least that's what I
      think she should have for the period. She has to be wearing a hat, but
      the problem is that a lumberjack needs to grab her hat and spit into it
      and put it back on her head. I can't see how any hat from this period
      is going to stay on a hairstyle like a Gibson without securing it
      somehow, either with combs, bobby pins or a hatpin, none of which will
      work for the action. Has anyone been able to keep a brimmed hat on an
      actress without any form of securing and if so, how?

      Sylrog
    • Poppy Shell
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1 1:55 PM
        Aloha from Kauai, Hawaii: As per the hat question: Will the actress be
        wearing a wig? I used a great Gibson type wig for the mom in PETER PAN and
        various actresses in MUSIC MAN. These big wigs are kind of poufy and I
        think a hat could be pushed onto it in a way that the hat would stay on,
        especially at a slant. You'd have to pin the heck out of the wig so it
        didn't come off with the hat. Then, after the lumberjack spat into the hat
        and placed it back on the actresses head, she could kind of grab the hat a
        bit and push it back down. Or does she take the hat off in disgust at his
        lack of manners? I think it would be harder with the actesses own hair,
        unless she has really long thick hair that would make a poufy Gibson. Good
        luck. POPPY